USC seeks strong finish to conference schedule

Gabrielle Gilbert (2).
Gabrielle Gilbert (2).

Women’s soccer hosts LSU, Ole Miss near season’s end

With five conference games remaining this season, South Carolina will look to build momentum from its first SEC win when it hosts LSU and Ole Miss this weekend.

The Gamecocks defeated the Bulldogs 1-0, taking the lead on a goal by junior Gabrielle Gilbert and keeping Georgia off the scoreboard with a strong defensive effort in the second half, led by sophomore goalie Sabrina D’Angelo’s four second-half saves. 

“We had to play as a group and finish the game,” said coach Shelley Smith. “You’re up a goal and you have to make sure you take advantage of that and play for another 45 minutes and not give up anything. You have to continue to play and stick together like they did in that first half.”

Redshirt senior Dani Henry and sophomore Andie Romness led the Gamecocks’ defensive effort, and freshman Caroline Gray added 44 minutes off the bench. Gilbert started the game on defense, but the substitution of sophomore Christa Neary, who played the remainder of the game, allowed her to move up and play forward.

Gilbert’s goal was her second of the season, sparking an offense that has struggled to score all season. USC has 14 goals in its 14 matches and has been held scoreless six times.

“Any goal is huge, and [Gilbert] has come up with some big ones for us,” Smith said. “Her effort all year has been tremendous. We put her in several positions on the field, and she’s made a difference in all of them. Scoring goals is huge, so a credit to Gabby and what she’s brought to the field for us.”

Gilbert is one of the veterans on an offense that relies heavily on new players. Freshman Raina Johnson and sophomore Ali Whitney earned their first starts of the season against Georgia. Freshman Coryn Bajema, who is tied for the team lead with three goals this season, played 63 minutes off the bench.

Having started every game this season, Gilbert has embraced a leadership role on USC’s offense.

“I think when they’re down, we’re able to help them and teach them,” Gilbert said. “I think we can keep moving forward and teach them how to make this program even better than it already is.”

LSU (6-5-4, 2-4-2 SEC) comes into its matchup with USC after defeating Vanderbilt 1-0 in double overtime. Freshman midfielder Haley Emerson scored her first career goal in the game’s 108th minute.

The Rebels also won their most recent conference game, a 2-0 victory against Kentucky. Ole Miss (10-5, 3-5 SEC) is a strong offensive team led by junior midfielder Mandy McCalla and junior forward Rafaelle Souza, who have scored 10 goals each this season.

USC defeated both teams on the road last season, with seven goals combined in the two matches. But none of the players who scored are on the roster this season.

With their first conference win behind them, the Gamecocks will seek to improve on a 1-4-3 conference record when it welcomes its next two SEC rivals this weekend.

“[The win] was a huge step for us, and we’re going to keep working for it to keep getting those wins because this isn’t the end,” Gilbert said. “We’ll keep going.”