USC to welcome Vols

Junior Gabrielle Gilbert (2) scored USC’s only goal against Vanderbilt.

Gamecocks to begin 4-game homestand

Coming off what coach Shelley Smith called one of its best games of the season, the women’s soccer team will welcome Tennessee and Georgia to Stone Stadium this weekend as it continues SEC play.

The Gamecocks lost a disappointing match at Auburn last Friday, taking a 2-1 lead into halftime before surrendering three unanswered goals in the second half. But USC bounced back against Vanderbilt on Sunday, playing to a 1-1 draw in double overtime in a game it dominated offensively.

“It was a great sign of this team to bounce back after having a major disappointment on Friday, being up and not being able to close out a victory,” Smith said. “Being on the road and taking on Vanderbilt on Sunday the way we did, the way we came out wanting to continue to work hard and put our best on the field, it was one of our best performances.

“They responded very well and did what we had talked about and decided they wanted to compete and make sure they do their best as we get through the rest of the season ... I think it’s been a great sign of what the team is capable of and what we will continue to build upon.”

USC took 18 shots on Sunday and held Vanderbilt to just five. Goalkeeper Sabrina D’Angelo did not have to make a single save.

The Gamecocks’ lone goal of the afternoon came from junior Gabrielle Gilbert, who has split time between forward and defender this season. The return of sophomore defender Christa Neary from injury meant that Gilbert could focus on offense against the Commodores.

“[Gilbert] has come out big at times in front of the goal,” Smith said. “She’s great getting across players on set pieces and running in the box. This is one of the first times we’ve been able to get her back on top ... She did a great job to show what she can do if given the opportunity to get closer to the goal.”

After four games on the road, Smith said the Gamecocks are relieved to be home for their next four games.

“We enjoy playing in Stone Stadium and in front of our fans,” Smith said. “Traveling is definitely exhausting, so we’re happy to be home. Hopefully we’ll take advantage of our home crowd.”

Tennessee (8-3-2) comes to Columbia after defeating No. 11 Mizzou on Sunday. The Volunteers’ defense has been dominant all season, holding opponents to just seven goals in its 13 games. Sophomore forward Iyana Moore leads the offense with four goals and three assists on the year.

Although the Gamecocks have yet to win an SEC contest this season, Smith said the team has the pieces in place to defeat Tennessee if it builds on last weekend’s games.

“All we need is to play our best game and not let ourselves down,” Smith said. “I think if we play consistently and give the effort we have the last few games, things will turn and go our way.”