Women’s basketball opens practice with new faces

Ieasia Walker
Ieasia Walker

Gamecocks have high expectations after Sweet 16

There may be five new faces on the court for USC’s women’s basketball team this year, but expectations remain high.

Last year’s team had one of the best seasons in program history, appearing in the Sweet 16 for the first time since 2002. Seven players from that group were no longer with the team as it opened fall practices Monday, but senior Ieasia Walker said USC will not be satisfied unless it improves on last year’s success.

“We always want to do better than what we did previously,” Walker said. “Last year, Sweet 16 was great. Our goal this year is the Final Four, so that’s what we’re working towards. We do have some of the seniors (from last year) still around, and they come back and try to help us get that same attitude and intensity that we had last year.”

Among players who graduated last year were guards Markeshia Grant and La’Keisha Sutton, who led the team in scoring with 11.1 and 10.6 points per game, respectively. On the other side of the ball, the Gamecocks will miss forward Charenee Stephens, who led the team in blocks and defensive rebounds.

Head coach Dawn Staley said Stephens’s intensity on the defensive end would be particularly difficult to replace, but the Gamecocks will rely on sophomore forward Aleighsa Welch and senior forward Ashley Bruner to fill her role, especially in rebounding.

“Charenee was the type of player that didn’t back down,” Staley said. “Neither does Ashley, nor Aleighsa, but she was a big presence inside for us. I think the other two bring more offense, so maybe we can offset some of what they can’t do defensively. But anytime you lose someone like Charenee, you’re going to feel it.”

For the new players on the team, the goal of preseason practices has been to take advantage of their skills while introducing them to USC’s system.

“I think we have some players who can create their own shots, who are able to wreak havoc on the defensive end,” Staley said. “It’s just, can they do it on our concepts and what we’re trying to do? They can do it one-on-one. They can do it just off-the-cuff. But that really doesn’t work always, especially (with) the type of nonconference schedule we have (in) our league.”

Walker said she felt that the freshman class would be as asset this season.

“I’m pretty confident,” Walker said. “This new group that’s here is pretty confident too. They’re really talented. They just have to get used to the system. I think once they get used to the system, we’ll be right on track.”

The Gamecocks will host Anderson in an exhibition match on Nov. 4 before opening their season against Elon on Nov. 9. Until that time, Staley said her coaching will focus on teaching more than it has in past years.

“For us, how well [new players] pick things up is going to be key,” Staley said. “At this point, they look like freshmen. They look like newcomers. But we have 29 more practices before we’re able to really see what we’re made of. It just takes a little work and a little time.”

Even without key starters from last year, Staley said this year is important for building a strong basketball tradition at South Carolina.

“I think we’re progressing toward that, and I don’t think this is a year in which we can take a year off and rebuild,” Staley said. “I think we have to capitalize on us having success last year but also know that it’s a very different team. It’s going to look different. It’s going to feel different. But I think it’s going to be exciting.”