Gamecocks preparing for Outback Bowl

Connor Shaw to start tomorrow's game against Michigan

TAMPA, Fla. — After almost a week of preparation in Tampa, the Gamecocks (10-2) and Wolverines (8-4) are finalizing their preparations for their first meeting since 1985.

In one final media session prior to tomorrow’s Outback Bowl, coach Steve Spurrier shared the podium with Michigan coach Brady Hoke this morning.

Spurrier said that while sophomore Dylan Thompson will see playing time in the game, junior Connor Shaw will be the starting quarterback for the Gamecocks.

“We’re hoping Connor plays about all the game,” Spurrier said. “He’s done that, off and on, for about two years now. He’s been our starting quarterback, and we think he certainly deserves the right to go into it with (the attitude that) ‘This is my game. Let’s go.’”

Asked how sophomore defensive end Jadeveon Clowney has responded this week, Spurrier called him USC’s star player. Spurrier said Clowney has handled himself well after being selected unanimously to the All-SEC team and honored as an All-American.

“A lot of teams have left a running back on his side, and sometimes an extra tight end lined up over there,” Spurrier said. “We’ve got ways of moving him around, all that kind of stuff. We’ll see how it all plays out.”

With the Gamecocks looking for their second consecutive 11-win season, Spurrier also praised South Carolina’s seniors for their leadership in bringing the program to national prominence.

Hoke said that junior Devin Gardner will be the starting quarterback for the Wolverines. He did not specify where senior Denard Robinson will play, saying only that “everything is possible with him” and adding that “he won’t punt.”

Robinson was injured in Michigan’s Oct. 27 loss to Nebraska and missed the next two weeks, allowing Gardner to take over as the team’s signal-caller. After making his first career start at Minnesota on Nov.3, the junior finished the season with 11 touchdowns.

The Michigan coach also declined to name a starting running back, saying that it will depend on field position and formation. Sophomore Thomas Rawls, senior Vincent Smith and redshirt freshman Justin Hayes are all possibilities.

Robinson has been the Wolverines’ rushing leader on the season, with an average of almost 250 yards in the 10 games he has played.

Both coaches dismissed the notion that tomorrow’s game is important in establishing dominance for the SEC or the Big 10, saying the conference rivalry was more important to the media than to coaches and players.

There were no last-minute injuries to report, although Spurrier said that sophomore wide receiver Damiere Byrd landed on sophomore cornerback Victor Hampton as he was going for a pass in practice yesterday. But the coach said Hampton will be fine for the game.

Preparations for the game will continue tonight with team walk-throughs at Raymond James Stadium. There will also be a parade and pep rally, which the team will not attend.

The Outback Bowl will begin tomorrow at 1 p.m.