Marcus Lattimore to enter 2013 NFL draft

Following season-ending injury, star tailback announces intent to join April draft

After three record-breaking seasons and two season-ending injuries, tailback Marcus Lattimore’s career at USC is at an end.

At a press conference on Wednesday, Lattimore announced his intention to enter the NFL draft in April.

“It was a lot of praying, a lot of discussions with my family,” Lattimore said. “I feel like it’s the best decision for me.”

Lattimore leaves South Carolina as the record-holder in career touchdowns (41) and rushing touchdowns (38) scored. He also ranks third in points scored (246) and fourth in rushing attempts (555).

Coach Steve Spurrier said Lattimore is one of his favorite players not only for his contributions on the field but also because of his leadership. Spurrier said that in addition to being the best running back he has ever coached, Lattimore played a key part in recruiting sophomore defensive end Jadeveon Clowney and convincing sophomore wide receiver Bruce Ellington to play football.

“Our university is talked about around the country,” Spurrier said. “Everywhere I go, people know we’re 10-2. People know we’ve had some success. We’re going to some top-notch bowl games. It really all happened three years ago. It happened when Marcus Lattimore said, ‘I’m coming to the University of South Carolina.’”

Lattimore called his time as a Gamecock “the best three years of my life,” mentioning his connection with his teammates and memories including wins over Florida at the Swamp and top-ranked Alabama in 2010.

He said he plans to attend the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis, Ind. in February, even though he will not be able to do any drills at that time. He did not speculate about how early in the draft he might get taken, saying that it would depend on medical evaluations.

The junior injured his right knee against Tennessee in October, tearing three out of four ligaments. But according to team physician Dr. Jeff Guy, who was part of the team that operated on Lattimore, he did not break any bones, and there was no damage to his cartilage.

Guy added that Lattimore’s recovery is on schedule, and there are no plans for additional surgery. The tailback said the timetable for his return was 12 to 15 months.

As a sophomore, Lattimore suffered a season-ending injury to his left knee against Mississippi State. In his freshman season, he broke USC records for yards gained and touchdowns scored, earning him a unanimous selection as SEC Freshman of the Year.

Lattimore said he talked to NFL running backs Willis McGehee and Frank Gore, who influenced his decision to forgo his senior season. He thanked everyone who made his career at South Carolina possible, including his teammates and coaches, the training staff and the administration.

After thanking the academic staff, he said he intends to finish his degree in public health.

“South Carolina is always going to be my home,” he said. “I’m willing to come back here when my career is over and do whatever is asked of me, because I love this state and I’m glad to say I’ll be a Gamecock forever.”