Students’ safety should come before schooling

Aftereffects of Sandy make attendance risky

Hurricane Sandy’s aftereffects will be felt in New York City and the outlying areas for a long time. Buildings have been destroyed across the Northeast, and many areas still struggle with power and energy issues. Now, New York City public school systems are facing yet another difficult problem: When should students return to school? Schools are now beginning to open, though many facilities are not yet entirely safe, leaving parents to decide whether to prioritize their child’s safety over their education.

In the New York City suburb of Queens, Public School/Middle School 114 opened for school again Nov. 27. However, only about half of the student body showed up for class due to concerns over the building’s safety. The gym floor was destroyed. The majority of the school was flooded during the storm, and sewage leakage left a lingering smell in many classrooms. As schools re-open in storm-ravaged areas, educators will face even more difficulties. Breaks will now have to be shortened or completely eliminated to keep students on track to graduate and move to the next grade in the fall of 2013. But opening early offers the education boards welcome relief and a tempting way out. They can stay on schedule and avoid difficult issues regarding graduations and break cuts.

However good the intentions of New York officials are, families should not have to choose between safety and education. NYC’s efforts to speed the recovery process should not be focused on education because there is too much at risk for students.