Columbia to go hard in the paint

Tin Roof will host ‘Life in Color’s ‘Rebirth’ tour in April 

Columbia, it’s time to paint the town garnet and black. And this time, you’ll be the canvas.

On Friday, April 5, the Life in Color “Rebirth” tour will hit Carolina country, igniting an exploding bomb of bright colors, bumping bass and body movement. Imagine yourself immersed in a real-life Jackson Pollock painting, splattering friends, strangers and anyone else in dousing distance with a fresh coat of neon hues set to a throbbing soundtrack of electronic dance music. Don’t be afraid to get a little messy — in fact, your tennis whites are encouraged here.

Billed as the “world’s largest paint party,” Life in Color invites guests to experience a carefree, vibrant experience that dissolves the lines between art and music on one single psychedelic color pallet. The event, known to many previous painters by its former moniker “Dayglow,” made a national name for itself last year, leaving thousands of revelers dripping and dirty in the wake of its cross-country “E.N.D.” tour. Now, Life in Color has since decided to tighten the screws, permitting only one stop per city to create larger, more fan-friendly events. Last year’s tours came as close as Charleston, but thanks to Columbia native James Fonger, 2013 marks the first year the city makes the Life in Color roster. Although currently a student at the University of Georgia, Fonger says he’s had a longtime goal of bringing the paint party home.

“We’ve been trying to make a Life in Color show happen in Columbia for almost a year now,” Fonger said. “So now that we’ve found the right opportunity, we’re all very excited and know that the show is going to be a huge success.” 

Fonger, who currently acts as one-half of the After Midnight Parties (aptly codenamed AMP) event company with partner Evan Rosenberg straight out of Athens, Ga., said the duo was contacted by Life in Color spearhead company Committee Entertainment to put together a paint event in Dawg-town. The result was so successful it spawned a partnership that swept its brush over much of the Southeast before finally inking a deal in Columbia. Though some fans of the feast of colors may not recognize the new branded name at first, Fonger believes the new title is a better indicator of the panoramic journey Life in Color takes each individual on. 

“I think the new name sounds better because it definitely captures the kind of ‘epic’ atmosphere that the show provides better than the old name,” Fonger said. 

Ticket sales for the event begin at noon today, and Fonger says they expect anywhere from 3,000-plus people to attend based on event history. Sure, Life in Color is one big party based on how steeped you can get in paint in a few short hours, but it’s much more than just your typical rave. The ultimate goal of the event is to get each person united and vibing off each other in one giant, moving body and soul. And what could be better than going hard in the paint with a few thousand of your closest buds? 

Tickets for the 18-and-up event held at Tin Roof in the Vista are available online at ticketfly.com for prices of $27 to $65.