Josh Ritter keeps cool on break-up album

Indie singer sticks to sweet sounds on latest ‘The Beast In Its Tracks’ 

Never has divorce sounded so beautiful.

On his new album, “The Beast In Its Tracks,” indie folk musician Josh

Ritter, best known for tracks like “Girl in the War,” “Change of Time” and “Harrisburg,” offers up 13 tracks about his recent split from wife Dawn Landes, also a musician.

Even though the entire album is focused on his separation, Ritter doesn’t seem bitter or angry. He stays true to his musical roots, channeling folk heroes like Bob Dylan with his light, soft voice and gentle guitar style, and shows off a sweet, compassionate side instead of a vindictive one. He’s reminiscent, wistful — looking back on simpler, happier times but forging ahead with an optimistic spirit and the dream of a new start for both himself and his former lover.

Listening to the album, you’ll learn he remembers her best qualities and he’s even found them in new partners, but his new ladies don’t totally add up to the full package. He worries about her — her health, her happiness — but swears he’s happy “for the first time in a long time.”

You don’t have to have experienced a divorce or even a breakup to sympathize with Ritter’s lyrics. He can load a song with specifics (“the way they’re sticking him with pins” and “I drink what they pour me / the cups of ‘Who cares?’” are among his most poetic lines) and spit out rhythms at paces that rival many rappers (though he reserves that for special occasions — check out the verses on “Hopeful”). “The Beast in Its Tracks” has the power to make listeners smile and cry simultaneously, maybe even eliciting a swing in emotions over the course of one listen to one track. Even when he makes you sad, it’s only temporary. The promises of better days are plentiful here.

Lead single “Joy to You Baby” is definitely the standout in the collection and possibly the crown jewel of the artist’s entire songbook — This is his seventh album, mind you. Ritter debuted the song during his summer tour in a solo acoustic arrangement and fans couldn’t wait to get their hands on it. Ritter has been handing out teases to the album throughout 2013, releasing the easygoing “New Lover” on Valentine’s Day and getting broader exposure with the inclusion of “In Your Arms Again” in a recent episode of “Grey’s Anatomy.”

Ritter’s band, dubbed the Royal City Band — a reference to his song “Thin Blue Flame” — sounds tight-knit here. It’s clear the musicians have worked with the singer for several years and the result is a polished, well-rounded sound.

The album hits stores March 5, but you can stream the entire thing free on npr.org. In addition to MP3 and traditional CD format, Ritter is selling the album on vinyl, too.

Ritter and the Royal City Band are on the road now through summer. They will play at the Orange Peel in Asheville May 13. The Felice Brothers are opening on that date. Tickets are $19 in advance and $21 on the day of the show. All tickets to Ritter’s tour dates include a digital download of the new album.