Simpson's Cinema: Nickelodeon Movies

Columbia’s independent theater airs old, new films

The Nickelodeon Theatre is well known around Columbia as the only local, independent theater. Patrons across the city gather every weekend to watch films that aren’t in the mainstream theaters like the AMC Dutch Square and the Columbiana Grande. Not only does it present limited-release films for fans of independent cinema, but every now and then it screens classic films as part of its numerous festivals for the viewing pleasure of movie lovers in general. Here’s a look at what’s to come at the Nickelodeon Theatre.

"Hyde Park on Hudson"
It’s been awhile since anyone has seen Bill Murray in a major role. The most recent memorable appearance was a cameo as himself in the comedy “Zombieland” (2009), before the protagonist shot him after a poor practical joke. It’s also been years since anyone has seen him in a more dramatic role. Enter “Hyde Park on Hudson,” a historical drama in which Murray portrays former U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt. The film focuses on Roosevelt’s affair with his distant cousin, Daisy (Laura Linney), in the midst of a royal visit from the King and Queen of England, attempting to gain support from the American government as Europe faces war. Playing at the Nickelodeon Feb. 15 through Feb. 28.

"Gattaca"
The Nickelodeon Theatre will be screening the 1997 science-fiction film “Gattaca” on Feb. 18 as part of its “Science on Screen” film event. “Gattaca” takes place in the “not too distant” future, where a person’s social class depends on his or her DNA. The protagonist Vincent (Ethan Hawke) acquires the help of a DNA broker to obtain the more desirable DNA of a paralyzed man (Jude Law) in order to accomplish his dream of working in outer space. Screened on Feb. 18.

"There Will Be Blood"
One of director Paul Thomas Anderson’s greatest films, “There Will Be Blood” takes a giant stab at the American oil industry, as well as greed and capitalism. In arguably his greatest performance, Daniel Day-Lewis plays a gold miner, who becomes a ruthless oil tycoon and starts his quest for wealth during California’s oil strike in the late 19th century. “There Will Be Blood” will be screened on April 29 as part of the theater’s “Science on Screen” event.

"Blade Runner"
One of the most iconic science-fiction films of all time, “Blade Runner” will be screened on May 13 as part of the “Science on Screen” event. Stepping out of “Star Wars” fame, Harrison Ford plays a retired police officer in a future, dystopian Los Angeles, where humans live alongside organic robots called replicants. He investigates a series a crimes that lead him to a climatic confrontation with a replicant named Roy Batty (Rutger Hauer). Screened on May 14.