Sisters team up for Gamecock softball

Junior Ashlyn Masters (above) and her sister Lauren are the second set of sisters to play softball at USC.

Ashlyn, Lauren Masters relish opportunity to play together

Only two sets of siblings have ever played on South Carolina’s softball team. The second pair of sisters, both in their first season at USC, are already making an impact on the field.

Junior Ashlyn Masters and freshman Lauren Masters have a unique chemistry between them that allows them to stay motivated throughout the season. More than just sisters, they have a bond as best friends and look to one another as inspiration.

“She knows how I am from being off the field and on,” Lauren Masters said of her sister Ashlyn. “She can just say one thing to pick me right back up because we’ve played together almost all of our lives.”

As a center fielder and cleanup hitter, Ashlyn Masters currently tops the SEC with three sacrifice flies and has a seven-game hitting streak. Having previously played at other universities before attending USC, she credited experience for her strong performances on the field. She said her time at a smaller school helped her prepare to play and study at South Carolina.

Though Lauren Masters is only a freshman, her determination has already molded her into a stronger player. Lauren Masters has learned from her sister, as well as for herself, how tough being a student-athlete can be.

“My first semester, I struggled; I didn’t know how to find the balance between being an athlete and a student,” Lauren Masters said. “I really clashed with both, and this semester, my eyes are opened and just my experience from last semester has really helped me with this one.”

South Carolina currently holds a record of 8-3. Against Charleston Southern Sunday, the Gamecocks scored 17 runs for the first time since joining the SEC. That game marked the most runs they have scored since a game against Coppin State in Charlottesville, Va., March 31, 1996.

As the Gamecocks play in the Georgia Southern Eagle classic this weekend, opening at 9:30 a.m. against Alabama State Saturday, coach Beverly Smith has a vision for her team.

“We’ve got five tough games coming up in Georgia, and again I just want to see constant improvement,” Smith said, “We’ve done a great job offensively. I’m looking to see continued improvement from us from a defensive standpoint and with our pitching and base running.”

Smith makes it her role to challenge each player equally, but she views the Masters sisters as a great addition to the team.

“They’ve added a lot of competitiveness to the team,” Smith said. “They both are calm gamers, and they add a lot of life to the field. Ashlyn swings a big bat. She’s been very productive for us in the four-hole. Little Masters is just a tough out. I like the way she plays defense. She’s a real gritty player.”

Both sisters continue to learn from each other as they grow into better players on the field. When facing doubt, they refer to a quote from one of their former coaches: “Turn your frustration into motivation.” To play together has been a dream of theirs since they were little and something they take pride in.

Their parents are also strong motivators, and Ashlyn Masters said their mother told them always to believe in themselves.

“Never give up,” Lauren Masters said. “You can do anything that you put your mind to, and wherever you go, keep your eyes on God.”