USC dances ‘On the Edge’ at Drayton

Company choreographs contemporary numbers for this week’s show

USC’s Dance Company is “On the Edge” of something amazing. 

The company will be performing contemporary works by top choreographers at USC’s Drayton Hall Theatre Feb. 14 through 16. The unique performances collectively entitled “On the Edge” include pieces from highly noted choreographers Amanda Miller, William Evans, Thaddeus Davis and Tanya Wideman-Davis.

Through collaborative and solo choreographies that have drawn inspiration from a number of outlets, using about 45 dancers and choreographers working in unison.

Each director used their own unique ideas to work with the dancers.

“I like to choreograph works that represent femininity,” said Wideman-Davis, USC assistant professor and co-artistic director of Wideman/Davis Dance Company.
Wideman-Davis’s newest piece, which will end the show, proves how distinct each choreographer’s pieces are. “Scopophilic,” which means “love of looking,” will include nine dancers, three who rotate nights, all of whom are female.

Wideman-Davis used a picture hanging in her office for inspiration. Originally found in Artforum magazine, the photo shows eight women all dressed in black.

“They’re all gazing at the camera lens, each with a very distinct gaze,” she said.

She focused on how females in dance are normally depicted in one way, with one gaze. In her piece she dealt with “flipping” this gaze and attempted to portray both the female and male gaze together.

She also made sure she spoke to her dancers, gaining knowledge and ideas from them.

“I’m working with living individuals,” she said. “I work with who’s in the room.”

Similarly, Miller, former resident choreographer for Ballet Frankfurt, used her dancers to fully form her piece. In “Japanese Butterfly,” Miller drew on each of the dancer’s life experiences and current life stages, combining them for a truly personal dance.

Davis, Wideman-Davis’ husband and dance partner, also contributed two original works, “If Only I...,” which was featured in the Fall of 2012 “Voices of Choreography,” and “K.A.R.C.” Though Davis and Wideman-Davis have worked and danced together in many notable companies, they worked separately for “On the Edge” to focus on their own personal visions and inspirations.

A recreation of William Evans’ “Dreamtime” and a piece based on the development of movement by Diane McGhee Valle, the director of USC’s dance education track, will also be performed.

Davis said the performance would be nothing without its dancers and their passion.

“I am inspired by the dancers, but more importantly, their commitment to the creation process shows that they are inspired by the process of art making,” Davis said.

He added that the USC dance program has grown stronger over the past few years, and this performance is the perfect opportunity to show this growth.

“Each choreographer asked something different of our students, and as our students grow our program grows.”

“On the Edge” is 7:30 p.m. Feb. 14 to 16 at Drayton Hall Theatre at 1214 College St. Tickets are $12 for students, $16 for USC faculty/staff, military and seniors (60+) and $18 for the general public. Tickets can be purchased in advance through the box office at (803) 777-5112.