Valentine’s vaudeville tantalizes crowd

‘Henderson Bros. Burlesque’ debuts at 701 Whaley

She steps from behind the curtain in a swirl of colorful feathers, gracefully crossing the stage and pausing only to extend one lithe leg from beneath her glittering costume, like a cobra charmed from its basket. Every shimmy and grind of the hips and every teasing wink further ensnares the hypnotized audience. She playfully tugs at the straps of her bejeweled bra, taunting with open-mouthed gasps and finger wags that mock the spectators’ growing anticipation until it’s time for the big reveal. And before you know it, the bra suddenly hits the floor. But don’t worry folks; it’s all part of the show.

The art of burlesque has been around for centuries, weaving together erotically charged stripteases with sophisticated dance routines that thrust the audience into a world of sexual freedom and sensuality. Now, Trustus Theatre and What’s Love are bringing the camp to Columbia with the “Henderson Bros. Burlesque” show this Valentine’s Day at 701 Whaley.

“Typically, on Valentine’s Day, we’re all used to getting the usual wine, chocolates and fancy dinner,” event coordinator Lee Ann Kornegay said. “The burlesque show is a really cool alternative not only because it’s something fun but also because it blends those same themes of romance, eroticism and heartbreak.”

Now in the its seventh year, previous shows have centrally focused on visual art exhibitions, like dance and live art, that revolved around the Valentine’s theme. Eventually, the show’s popularity began to blossom in the local arts community so much that the decision was made to move from Gallery 808 into a new home at 701 Whaley. But this time, Kornegay, along with show directors Chad Henderson and Terrance Henderson of Trustus fame, decided to high-kick the show into glittery gear, swapping out paint for pasties in the fantasy world of burlesque performance. From a sexy puppet on a string to a private peepshow and a full-blown choral concert by the 20-plus cast, “Henderson Bros.” keeps the blood pumping from the first note to the curtain close.

“We like to think of this as more of a ‘rock and roll’ version of a traditional burlesque show,” Kornegay said. “It’s all about keeping the energy high and making it fun with lots of body movement and amazing vocals.” 

Although Kornegay admits with a laugh that sex is most likely the selling point for many of the show’s guests, she says they also make it a goal not to take things too far. The show combines a melting pot of solo or group numbers by both male and female performers set to the soundtrack of a seven-piece, live band during its 75-minute romp through wanton desires.

“The main point is to have an event that is tremendously entertaining for a lot of people,” Kornegay said. “We really attract a broad mix of people, from edgy, young artists to couples in their 50s, so we try not to make things too raunchy or over the top.” 

The imminent success of “Henderson Bros.” has already been foretold in the box office — tickets for the 8 p.m. show have sold out, and Kornegay says the 10 p.m. showing is well on its way to doing the same. After months of almost-daily rehearsals and hours of choreography, Kornegay got to experience the first full performance at Tuesday’s night practice. Needless to say, she was blown away. 

“I couldn’t stop smiling. The vocals are amazing, the band is great and the choreography is spectacular. When it comes together, it’s visually stunning,” she said. “It just amazes me how hard these people work for something like this, just for the love of their craft.”

Proceeds from the “Henderson Bros. Burlesque” benefits Trustus Theatre. Tickets and show packages for the 10 p.m. show can be purchased at brownpapertickets.com