PANASA organization celebrates cultures

Students dressed in traditional African garb danced, sang and told stories celebrating their native cultures at the second annual “Africa, My Africa” night hosted by PANASA.

Native African students share food, songs, dances, stories at second annual event 

Community members and students of all ethnicities and backgrounds gathered for the second annual “Africa, My Africa” event courtesy of the Pan-African Student Association (PANASA).

A student organization dedicated to the African population of students at the university, PANASA transported visitors to the continent the instant they stepped through the doors. As natives of African countries like Ghana and South Africa, volunteers dressed in the traditional attire appropriate to their nations. 

All 54 African countries were represented through songs, dance and cuisine shared throughout the night. 

“A lot of [our native] students don’t have family here. We want to be that family,” said Ekib Ekure, a fourth-year African-American Studies student who was one of the hosts for the event. She said the organization is open to all who are interested in learning about African culture and people.

Students were welcomed with a “home-cooked” meal that gave them a preview of the night’s authentic qualities. Dishes ranged from a Ghanaian bean dish to Alloco from Cote d’Ivoire.

Next, guests took their seats and the program began with a comical skit. After setting the laid-back mood, Ekure performed a typical Nigerian maiden dance with her aunt and mother in their vibrant yellow, orange and red dresses accompanied by scarves and jewels.

The night continued with the unique rhythms of the African drums, and visitors were encouraged to dance to the beat as if they were participating in a Ghanaian drum circle.

Performers and hosts then told traditional stories, including one African myth in which a village needed to save its queen with the sacrifice of an antelope.

That story led into the Ghanaian Adowa Dance performed by members of PANASA. 

International student adviser Binda Niati was one of the coordinators for the event. Looking around, she said she was amazed to see the overwhelming crowd of guests that wanted to take part in the celebration of the countries. Niati said the audience exceeded her expectations of 100 — the Russell House Ballroom was full.

Just as her mother, dressed in Congolese clothing, came up to embrace her with a congratulatory hug, Niati summed up the attitude of the night and what she hoped would be portrayed through the showcase: “We have a sizable African community in Columbia, so it’s just a way to showcase our culture and traditions and share it with the USC community, because Africa is always presented in one way, so it’s a great way to have a positive light on Africa and African issues.”