‘People, Hell and Angels’

Unreleased Jimi Hendrix tracks let guitar god live on 43 years later

He left the world too soon — at 27, an age that seems cursed for a slew of rockers.

He had style. Psychedelic tie dyes and that unmanageable afro were the staples of his signature look.

He gave us rainbows bold as love, guitar solos that melted audiences, a deeper appreciation for the color purple and an unforgettable rendition of our country’s national anthem.

And even though he’s been gone for decades — it’s been nearly 43 years since his last original album was released — Jimi Hendrix still has a whole lot to give.

“People, Hell and Angels,” a collection of 12 previously unreleased Hendrix studio tracks, dropped this week, opening the eyes and ears of music fans both young and old.

Most of the album’s tracks were recorded pre-Woodstock in sessions between 1968 and 1969. The songs were slated to be included on a follow-up to “Electric Ladyland,” the final album of new material released by the Jimi Hendrix Experience during the frontman’s lifetime.

“People, Hell and Angels” is the fourth disc to be released under the Jimi Hendrix Experience deal with Legacy Recordings.

Posthumous releases aren’t new for the music industry. Fans have received musical gifts from the angels of everyone from Elvis Presley to Amy Winehouse and our fallen heroes still make millions after death. Hendrix fans have seen their fair share of posthumously released tracks by the guitar legend — but never anything like this collection.

“People, Hell and Angels” is a beautiful marriage of the familiar and the unexpected. You hear his signature electric guitar riffs, wailing loud with solos for minutes on end, but you get more depth, too.

The album highlights Hendrix’s foray into other genres, namely blues and jazz. The tracks are loaded with complex layers: horns, piano, other vocalists.

“Let Me Move You” is a fast-paced, soulful jaunt with a killer saxophone line by Hendrix’s buddy Lonnie Youngblood. “Mojo Man” gives off a Southern bayou vibe as Harlem band The Ghetto Fighters take the mic. “Crash Landing” is a field trip to the land of funk, a groovy work that could inspire a revival, or at least a new appreciation, of the genre. An intensely long instrumental piece titled “Easy Blues” is a standout. With a second guitarist, Larry Lee, joining Hendrix on the track, the legend shows how well he can be a team player while also spreading his wings for one of the most incredible solos he has ever played.

Hendrix was an innovator. He wasn’t afraid to take risks and experiment; after all, his band was called the Jimi Hendrix “Experience.”

Music is supposed to take you places, open up new worlds and help you forget about the monotonous aspects of everyday life. Hendrix knew how to do that, and the statement rings true of “People, Hell and Angels,” too.

While no amount of adoration or album sales can bring Hendrix back to life, it’s nice to know his spirit lives on through this glorious track listing.