Andreoli crowned 2013 USC Idol

<p>Junior Emily Andreoli won first place for her original song at the <span class="caps">USC</span> Idol finale on Wednesday night. </p>
Junior Emily Andreoli won first place for her original song at the USC Idol finale on Wednesday night.

Eight talented students compete for title Wednesday night

Simon Cowell may not have been present in the Russell House Ballroom, but even the surly Englishman himself would have been impressed by all of the talent USC students had to offer.

Carolina Productions hosted its annual USC Idol Finale Wednesday night. After whittling down the 30-plus contestants who auditioned for the show Monday, eight students took to the stage, covering a medley of modern and classic tracks.

Though Brice Berg won the audience’s choice for best act, Emily Andreoli was named USC Idol for her original musical performance. Benjamin Peele was awarded the runner-up title.
Audience members cheered on their favorite acts, waving handmade signs and shouting thunderous “Game! Cock!” calls in between songs. Substituting for the adorable Ryan Seacrest, Idol hosts Pauly C and AWOWW, of WUSC fame, even invited the crowd to show their support for the singers via social media, hashtagging tweets to Carolina Productions with “#team” followed by the name of their songbird of choice. The DJs also doled out audience prizes for the best tweets and new followers to their own Twitter account.

Local celebrities were on hand to judge the evening’s participants. School of Music assistant professor of voice Janet Hopkins, National Association for Campus Activities Online Marketing Manager Wes Wikel and Boombox Guy JJ (donning a signature green blazer and toting a boom box in hand) judged the Idol hopefuls on a 50-point scale based on three characteristics: sound quality, professionalism and voice control. Though the trio of judges had the final say on who took home the top prize, audience members also voted on their preferred winner via text message.

Freshman Florida native first-year business student Brice Berg opened up the show with Maroon 5’s ode to the most leisurely day of the week, “Sunday Morning.” Accompanying himself on the keyboard, Berg’s soulful, stripped down version of the song garnered him plenty of audience applause and positive praise from the judges. He was followed by third-year business student Emily Andreoli, singing an original track she had written herself, a skill she was complimented on by judge Wikel.

Next up was first-year music student Alexis Blevins with a soft rendition of Jeff Buckley’s famous ballad “Hallelujah,” followed by Cockapella president Benjamin Peele’s acoustic guitar cover of OutKast’s catchy “Hey Ya!” tune. The fourth-year history student later accompanied second-year business contestant Calla Chuy during a second performance of “Sunday Morning” after second-year broadcast journalism student Kelly Wiley’s powerful delivery of John Legend’s romantic single “Ordinary People.” Florence native and USC NAACP chapter president Kendrick Muldrow paid personal tribute to former “American Idol” winner Ruben Studdard with the third-year economics student’s own ear-pleasing cover of the soul singer’s “Flying without Wings.” Finale closer fourth-year management science student Brady Stephenson lent his own vocal styling to the Elton John classic “Don’t Let the Sun Go Down on Me.”

While the judges deliberated, contestants were invited back onstage for a quick question-and-answer session with Pauly C and AWOWW. Each spoke on his or her musical influences and favorite songs to cover while the audience submitted their own fan favorite votes over text message or online. Soon, the judges were ready with an answer.