Cockapella captivates crowd at spring concert

<p>First-year student Nick Evangelista led Cockapella in a rendition of rapper Labrinth’s hit single “Earthquake,” complete with rap beats.</p>
First-year student Nick Evangelista led Cockapella in a rendition of rapper Labrinth’s hit single “Earthquake,” complete with rap beats.

Cocktails open for coed vocal group’s final semester showcase

The halls of the Darla Moore School of Business came alive with music for one last evening this semester, and the instrumentals came courtesy of the university’s very own a cappella groups.

The Cocktails and Cockapella held their spring concert Monday night, a final showcase for several of the group’s graduating seniors. After a brief room mix-up, the excited crowd pooled outside the doors of the Belk Auditorium, babbling and buzzing with anticipation for what was in store. When the doors finally opened several minutes later, the audience flooded forth, filling the seats closest to the front as they gave cheers of encouragement to their favorite singers behind the microphone.

The all-female Cocktails group were first to enter the spotlight, creating a perfect mural of Gamecock spirit as they lined up in garnet and black attire. The ladies got the crowd into the summertime swing with the Doobie Brothers’ classic feel-good anthem, “Listen to the Music” before flowing into the toned-down melodies of “I Need Your Love” by Calvin Harris and Ellie Goulding. Though the Cocktails performed only a pair of songs, each member’s talent was able to shine through with sparkling clarity and a lush quality that drew thunderous applause from the rapt audience.

Next, it was time for Cockapella to take the stage. Donning their best pastel frocks and crisp collared shirts, members of the coed a cappella group opened up with Delta Rae’s sultry “Bottom of the River.” The light, tinkly vocals of the front harmonies blended together seamlessly with the deep, rich baritones of their counterparts. It became immediately obvious that all of those long nights of practice, sore throats and gulps of honey had paid off.

Cockapella threw the audience for quite the curveball with its next song choice. Belting out “Earthquake” by rapper Labrinth featuring Tinie Tempah, the group provided a refreshing change of pace for most a cappella concerts. Not only did it uncover several of the members’ rhythmic rapping abilities, it also showed how flawlessly Cockapella can transition from folk rock to a hip-hop track. The singers again made this same leap for the next selection with a gentler version of “Some Nights” by Grammy-award winners Fun.

It was then time to take a page from the ’90s playbook with N’Sync’s 2001 hit single “Pop.” No matter the track or decade, one thing is certain with the Cockapella group: They love what they’re doing. Each member was all smiles during each song, grooving off each other’s vocal energy. Whether they’re dusting off Queen’s “Fat Bottomed Girls” or taking the tempo down a beat with “Cough Syrup” by Young the Giant, everyone gets an opportunity to be heard, a feat hard to accomplish with the rising pulse of 18 voices. They even incorporated a little alternative into the night’s set with a softly sung rendition of Muse’s “Madness.” The medley of duets, ensemble and solo performances were solid and melted together with ease and attunement.

After a performance of crowd favorites “Hide and Seek” by Imogen Heap and Keane’s “Somewhere Only We Know,” Cockapella closed with crooner Bruno Mars’ love ballad about snap decisions, “Marry You.” Cockapella danced through the last song of the night, rolling along with the beats and tossing in improv tidbits of other classic hits.

If you missed Monday’s show, never fear. The Cocktails will be holding their spring performance Friday night at 7 p.m. in Gambrell Hall.