Chaz Sutton looks to become better leader for Gamecocks

<p>Redshirt junior defensive end Chaz Sutton recorded 25 tackles last season, including five sacks and two forced fumbles, as he split playing time with former Gamecock Devin Taylor.</p>
Redshirt junior defensive end Chaz Sutton recorded 25 tackles last season, including five sacks and two forced fumbles, as he split playing time with former Gamecock Devin Taylor.

Shaq Roland, Dylan Thompson developing chemistry in spring practice

With spring weather in full swing in Columbia, USC football took to the practice field again Tuesday. The players seemed to respond well to the warmer climate, garnering praise from coach Steve Spurrier for the team’s first practice of the week.

“Pretty warm weather — I think it got warmer as the afternoon went on,” Spurrier said. “But other than that the guys were hustling today. It was a pretty decent practice.”

Tuesday’s practice saw the continuation of a string of productive outings for sophomore wide receiver Shaq Roland, with whom Spurrier has been pleased over the past several weeks. Spurrier has been impressed by the connection Roland has developed with another one of USC’s young offensive weapons in junior quarterback Dylan Thompson.

“[Thompson] threw the ball very well today,” Spurrier said. “He can throw it in there. [Roland] again made some nice catches.”

Roland’s stretch of impressive work in practice began two weeks ago when Spurrier said he had his best practice as a Gamecock, and the former Mr. Football in the state of South Carolina hasn’t looked back since.

Junior wideout Bruce Ellington, who participated in practice for the first time this spring last week, also earned the coach’s attention.

“I had to get [Ellington] out. He wants to go every rep,” Spurrier said. “He was making diving catches. He fell on his back and his head over there one time.”

Spurrier showed some cross-sport support Tuesday, wearing a Boston Red Sox hat in honor of former Gamecock Jackie Bradley Jr.’s stellar performance in Monday’s season opener. After rattling off a few of Bradley Jr.’s stats from the game, Spurrier said he was happy with the USC alumnus’s outing.

With thunderstorms in the forecast for Thursday, Spurrier said the team won’t hold its normal, open-to-the-public practice. The team will instead move inside to avoid the inclement weather.

Sutton looks to take on leadership role: With Devin Taylor graduated and pursuing a career in the NFL, redshirt junior defensive end Chaz Sutton will look to take on more responsibility this fall not only on the football field but in the locker room, too.

“My leadership role is me just being one of the older guys,” Sutton said. “Just me coming out here every day, working hard and leading by example. That’s one of my roles, and that’s how I want to fit in.”

Sutton recorded 25 tackles last season, including five sacks and two forced fumbles, as he split playing time with Taylor. Sutton said having All-American Jadeveon Clowney on the other side of the defensive line in the upcoming year will allow him to make some plays for himself while defenses try to key on his teammate.

“It opens up a lot for me because I think a lot of teams are going to try and slide to [Clowney’s] side,” Sutton said. “They might leave me one-on-one with a back or a tight end, so it’s going to be helpful.”

This spring Sutton is one of many Gamecocks looking to fill a hole left by a departed impact player, and he says the key to doing so involves taking advantage of all the time opportunities afforded to him this offseason.

“When you go out here you’re always trying to perfect your craft,” Sutton said. “And the only way you can perfect it is to work on everything that’s possible on a two-hour day.”