The Band Perry explores new plain

<p>The Band Perry&#8217;s second album does not pack the same punch as their self-titled debut. </p>
The Band Perry’s second album does not pack the same punch as their self-titled debut.

Country trio falls short with sophomore release

The Band Perry is back with a new look and a bit of a new sound, too.

On “Pioneer,” the family band’s second album, siblings Kimberly, Reid and Neil Perry bring their unique spin to the pop country world. The follow-up to 2010’s self-titled debut piles on the girl power and adds a little more rock ‘n’ roll than the last time around. The album cover, featuring the title smeared in bright red lipstick, is one indication of their change in attitude.

“Better Dig Two” is a rocking anthem about a woman only being in love with one man. And when her man dies, you better put her in the ground.

“DONE.” is an upbeat ditty about revenge. Lyrics like “It’s gonna hit you hard til you see stars / It’s gonna put you through a world of hurt” are sassy and show off the band’s no-nonsense attitude.
“Don’t Let Me Be Lonely” slows things down a bit. Perry sings, “I wanna shake this winter coat off my sleeve / Dust off a record and just be free / Oh, don’t let me be lonely,” as she channels the country divas of decades past.

At times it’s pretty cheesy (at one point, she sings, “Take the keys to my car and the keys to my heart and just drive”), but it’s just the right amount of offbeat that the track will likely be on light rock radio for the next 10 years.

The title track isn’t quite “If I Die Young,” a hit single from the band’s debut album, but it’s pretty. The lyrics are vague, but I’m pretty sure Perry’s talking about an actual pilgrim (“I sing your song / It’s the hymn of those who’ve gone before and those who carry on”).

“Forever Mine Nevermind” is where things start getting fun. The track sounds like it could be a Kelly Clarkson song, but the band injects its own country flavor into it. “Night Gone Wasted” turns the lead singer into a strutting front woman instead of a sweet teenage girl.

“I Saw a Light” has some nice vocal moments, but this song about love at first sight is incredibly corny. “Mother Like Mine” is sappier than maple syrup, but the sentiment is sweet, so it’s a bit more likable. On the track, Perry sings about their mom’s best qualities, noting that “I’ve got the best and the worst of her in me.” The song goes on to say that if her mother were in charge of taking care of the whole world, it would be a much better place. High praise, huh?

“Chainsaw” sounds a bit like “You Lie” musically, and it’s an equally good kiss-off song. The track chronicles a budding romance marked by names carved into a tree. When the relationship ended, she cut the tree down with her chainsaw. As the chorus goes, “But I ain’t gonna be happy until those names fall / And I’m sittin’ on a stump.”

“I’m a Keeper” is another girl-power song on which Perry makes clear that she’s not a manipulator but an independent woman.

“Back to Me Without You” is about a girl growing up and leaving home but always longing to go back. “End of Time,” the album’s closing track, has a similar theme.

It’s not as powerful as the band’s debut, and it’s filled with cheesy sentiments, but there are some hits hidden on “Pioneer.” The Band Perry isn’t going to slip into oblivion anytime soon.