Top artists heat up Carolinas this summer

B.B. King, Dave Matthews Band, crown list of local concert series

Start saving your money now, folks. Summer’s right around the corner, and along with buying a new swimsuit and booking a hotel for your tropical vacation, you’re probably going to start digging deep into your pockets to secure some sweet summer concert tickets. ‘Tis the season to don your hippest sunglasses and pack into arenas to see your favorite artists up close and personal.
If you’re making plans to stay in the South this summer, here’s a taste of who’s coming to a city near you — and how much you’ll have to spend to score a seat.

Township Auditorium

*Band of Horses with Futurebirds
and Josh Roberts & the Hinges
May 3 / $30 – $35*

Into indie rock? Kick off your summer with this early May concert right here in the capital city. The Seneca, S.C., rockers have sold out a show in Charlotte the following week, so it’s sure to be a hot one. And with such a reasonable price, these tickets are a steal compared to other acts that come to the area.

*Bassnectar with GRIZ and Thriftworks
May 8 / $32*

Get ready to dance if you’re one of the fans who will shell out for a night of electronic music from one of the most critically acclaimed DJs in the country. Expect plenty of pulse-pounding beats, mind-blowing lights and a bass that drops harder than a ton of bricks.

*B.B. King
July 18 / $49 – $119*

If blues is more your style, the legend himself is coming to Columbia this summer. While tickets are a little pricey for the typical student budget, the original Blues Boy will undoubtedly make it worth the big bucks. Vibe out to classic hits like “Three O’Clock Blues,” “The Thrill Is Gone” and “Please Love Me” as King takes you back to the era of down-home blues.

Time Warner Cable Arena

*New Kids on the Block
with 98 Degrees and Boyz II Men
June 19 / $29.50 – $91.50*

Feeling old-school? Get your boy band on in Charlotte. It’s sure to be a cougar fest, as most fans of these groups aren’t really little girls anymore. Maybe you’ll score some free tickets when your mom wants to go.
*
Fleetwood Mac
June 24 / $49.50 – $139.50*

The ’70s rockers are hitting the road again and taking their timeless hits to Charlotte this summer. Groove along with Stevie, Mac and the rest of the crew as they bring retro back with a vengeance.

*Beyonce
July 27 / $47 – $252*

From the halftime show to the Queen City, Mrs. Carter will be in the house in a matter of months. She hasn’t been here in a while, so this concert is sure to be packed. Tickets are selling fast, so make sure you snag some if you want to “Single Ladies” dance along with the Queen B.
*
Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre*

*Dave Matthews Band
July 24 / $40.50 – $75*

For many music fans, summer isn’t complete without a “Dave” concert. Get your flip-flops and blankets ready for a chill night under a North Carolina moon. One of the summer’s best tours, Dave always brings a medley of slow tunes with improv jam sessions.

*
Vans Warped Tour
July 29 / $32.50*

For fans of alternative and punk rock artists, the Vans Warped Tour is the ultimate shrine. Get lost in a sea of spiky hair, heavy eyeliner and Converses that tie all the way up to your thighs while rocking out to bands like Forever the Sickest Kids, Allstar Weekend and New Years Day.
****