Uncle Maddio’s rolls out fresh flavor

<p>Uncle Maddio’s Pizza Joint opened on Main Street Saturday, encouraging customers to build their own customized pies with more than 3 million topping combinations.</p>
Uncle Maddio’s Pizza Joint opened on Main Street Saturday, encouraging customers to build their own customized pies with more than 3 million topping combinations.

New pizza eatery offers modern take on tradition

Look out Columbia: Moe’s sexy Italian relative has just made his way into town, and his name is Uncle Maddio.

Uncle Maddio’s Pizza Joint opened the doors of its new Main Street location Saturday, inviting the city to savor the flavor of traditional “Mom and Pop” style pizza — with a modern twist. While the community is no stranger to delicious pies — eateries like The Pizza Joint and Dano’s come to mind as local favorites — franchise owner Ted Contos said Maddio’s adds a little something extra to the typical cheese and pepperoni menu.

“We were looking to bring something that Columbia did not have,” Contos said, keeping an eye on his restaurant’s bustle during dinner rush hour. “What this brings to the table is something that no one else does, and that’s the ability for customers to make their own pizza.”

Contos said when he and his wife Marcia began shopping around for franchise opportunities more than a year ago, they were drawn to Maddio’s. The Contos liked the “comfort level” they felt with a company that was already tried-and-true in the restaurant business. After all, the founding father of Uncle Maddio’s Pizza Joint also started the wildly popular Moe’s Southwest Grill.

And like Moe’s, Uncle Maddio’s has capitalized on the “build your own” style of dining, offering natural, unique toppings in a wide variety of combinations to fit every palette. This was another concept the Contos family found particularly refreshing.

“Some people think, ‘Why does it always have to be red sauce? Why mozzarella and not cheddar?’ I personally like cheddar on my pizza,” Contos said with a laugh. “Really, it all comes down to personal preference.”

Walking into Uncle Maddio’s is like strolling into your favorite pizza place that just received a much-needed face-lift. While residuals of the old-school joints like metal stands with order numbers remain, plush leather booths sit in lieu of aluminum chairs and scrawls of words like “fresh,” “healthy” and “protein” decorate the walls. Greeted with a chorus of “Ciao, Maddio’s!” by staff members lined up behind the glass window waiting to construct your own personal pizza delight, customers join the line snaking its way around the counter.

The menu offers several signature pizzas, each loaded up with unexpected pairings like the Southwest Baja with spiced grilled chicken, black bean corn salsa, jalapenos and sour cream, or the Steak & Blue topped with olive oil, blue cheese crumbles, Angus steak, garlic and spinach. Vegetarian options are also on tap; the Portobello Pesto with feta, mushrooms and herb pesto sauce, or the Simply Veggie with banana peppers, zucchini, black olives, mushrooms and tomatoes are perfect for your inner herbivore. Individual 9-inch pizzas are $7.99, with 12-inch mediums costing $13.49 and extra large (15 inches) costing $18.49.

For the picky eater, Uncle Maddio’s also offers a create-your-own menu, with pizzas starting at $6.99 and stretching to $15.99. Diners can select from three different types of dough (wheat, traditional or gluten-free), spread it with a choice of six sauces and add up to three toppings.

Uncle Maddio’s selection is a virtual candy store for the pizza lover — seven cheeses, 15 meats and 27 veggies. And they’re not stingy with the toppings; each slice is practically weighed down under the heft of crisp pineapple, goat cheese, meatballs and bacon. The same options are available with the homemade or build-your-own salads, and Uncle Maddio’s menu even houses some hot toasted paninis.

Contos said they took their time selecting the perfect location for their restaurant, choosing the old Jasmine Cafe and Deli space for its proximity to USC’s campus and the Statehouse. He said the opening weekend was nothing short of “fabulous,” and he has been thrilled with the community outreach so far.

“I’m very pleased with the local support,” Contos said of the restaurant’s three-day history. “The student support has really been overwhelming.”

Uncle Maddio’s Pizza Joint is located at 601 Main St. and is open seven days a week, 11 a.m. until 10 p.m.