Martin picks Clark as associate head coach

Former Tulane, Miami coach has 9 March Madness appearances under his belt

Head basketball coach Frank Martin has added Texas A&M Corpus Christi head coach Perry Clark to the Gamecocks coaching staff.

Clark has also served as head coach at Tulane and Miami and has over 30 years of NCAA men’s basketball coaching experience. At Tulane and Miami, Clark had a record of 304-270, with seven 20-win seasons and nine March Madness appearances.

“We are extremely excited about adding Coach Clark to our staff with the experience and the unbelievable story of success that continues to follow him,” Martin said.

Clark fills a vacancy on Martin’s staff left by former associate head coach Brad Underwood was named head coach at Stephen F. Austin State in April.

“I’m very excited to be at South Carolina…I’ve known Frank Martin for a long time and I know the hard work and integrity that he brings to a program. For me to be able to come in and add to that, and be a part of that, is something that was very appealing to me,” Clark said.

Clark won the Metro Conference championship in 1992 with Tulane. That same year, he was awarded the National Coach of the Year award. After Tulane, he left to take over Miami’s basketball team in 2000. He is the only Miami Hurricanes coach to take the team to March Madness in each of his first two seasons.

“He is someone who understands the land of recruiting as well as anyone in the country. His experience with preparing teams that have been ranked in the top 10 in the country and to play in the ACC and the Metro Conference is something that will serve our players and coaches in tremendous ways,” Martin said.

Clark spent four seasons at Texas A&M Corpus Christi and led the Islanders to a 54-71 overall record. Although he did not find much success in Corpus Christi, his 2008-2009 team doubled its win total from the previous year.

Clark brings the Gamecocks much needed experience for their young players to learn from. He has coached a number of players who have been drafted or played in the NBA. Success has followed Clark throughout his career, and he hopes to continue that streak here at South Carolina.