Gamecock captures silver for Team USA

USC sends swimmer, coach to represent country at Games

South Carolina senior Michael Flach earned a silver medal in the 4×200-meter relay for Team USA at the World University Games in Kazan, Russia.

Flach, earning his first-career international medal Monday, was a part of Team USA’s final swim time of 7:13.58 to finish in second place. Flach swam as the leadoff leg for Team USA in the preliminary heat, helping the team earn a time of 7:19.92, which was the second-fastest time of the two preliminary heats.

In addition to his silver medal, Flach finished sixth in the 200-meter butterfly for Team USA on Saturday. He posted a time of 1:58.90, coming up 1.54 seconds short of being placed on the medal stand. The gold medal winner, Bence Biczo from Hungary, touched the wall with a time of 1:55.32. Flach posted the second fastest time of the preliminaries (1:58.94) on Friday morning and swam a 1:58.77 in the semifinals to qualify for the finals.

Flach, from Annandale Va., had a strong week at the World University Games. He, alongside South Carolina head swimming and diving coach McGee Moody were successful at the games, although Flach came up seconds short of winning a medal in the 200-meter butterfly. Moody will continue to serve as an assistant coach for the U.S. men’s team through Wednesday.