And then there was one

<p>Highly touted players such as junior defensive Jadeveon Clowney have helped draw nationally-ranked recruits to South Carolina.</p>
Highly touted players such as junior defensive Jadeveon Clowney have helped draw nationally-ranked recruits to South Carolina.

Clowney only remaining headliner on Gamecock defense

Last season, the South Carolina defense was full of names.

Safety D.J. Swearinger made a name for himself by making big hits and intimidating players on the field. DeVonte Holloman was a consistent presence at the spur and linebacker positions, as were Shaq Wilson, Quin Smith and Reginald Bowens.

Those five players combined for 328 tackles and seven interceptions last season. This year, those five players, along with defensive end Devin Taylor and defensive tackle Bryon Jerideau, are all gone.

All in all, seven of last year’s top 11 tackle leaders have graduated. All of them made names for themselves and played big roles in South Carolina’s back-to-back 11-win seasons.

Now, as the Gamecocks prepare to open up their season against North Carolina, there is only one name on the defense that rings a bell, and boy is it a big one.

Jadeveon Clowney. The six-foot-six-inch, 274-pound defensive end that has 4.4 speed. The defensive player whose name has been all over newspapers and televisions all summer long. The player who ESPN featured in a SportsCenter special entitled “The Freak.”

With most of the leadership and name recognition gone from last year’s defense, Clowney blankets the other ten players around him.

“I want some of the love, but I don’t need any love because (Clowney) is getting it all, and everyone here understands the system and what we work in,” junior defensive tackle Kelcy Quarles said. “I’m not mad; I’m glad he is doing great, and I like watching it.”

“He works hard out here,” senior defensive end Chaz Sutton said. “He deserves the attention. We all applaud him for it, and we’re all one big family around here, so we’re happy for him.”

So while Quarles and Sutton and the rest of the defensive line are pleased with the exposure Clowney has received, they also understand that the extra attention on him can open up more opportunities for them, as the junior star is sure to attract multiple double teams throughout the game.

Very few teams left their left tackle to face Clowney one-on-one last year. Clemson was one of the teams that chose that route, and Clowney racked up 4.5 sacks, so it is unlikely that a team will try that again.

“It opens up a lot for me,” Sutton said. “I think a lot of teams are going to slide to his side, so it’s going to be helpful for me.”

However, Sutton said he just has to focus on what’s in front of him, and that is North Carolina.
“It doesn’t really matter if I’m starting across from Jadeveon or I’m the back-up quarterback. There’s always going to be pressure,” Sutton said. “You are playing in the SEC, and there is a tough opponent every week.”

Other members of the defensive line aren’t the only ones flying under the radar. The young group of linebackers that are replacing Holloman, Wilson and company have not been talked about much.
Most of the chatter surrounding these young players is about the uncertainty of their ability to replace last year’s stars, but the players themselves aren’t paying any attention to that.

“We don’t have to prove anything to anyone that is questioning us; we have to prove it to our teammates on the field every Thursday and Saturday night,” sophomore linebacker Kaiwan Lewis said.

These linebackers will face a tough test right off the bat against the Tar Heels, who use a hurry-up offense.

Last season, North Carolina racked up over 40 points per game, and quarterback Bryn Renner threw just seven interceptions, so the Gamecocks know they need to take advantage of every defensive opportunity they have.

“You play fast when you don’t think,” linebackers coach Kirk Botkin said. “And sometimes those young guys are thinking a little bit, so they aren’t playing as fast as they could.”

Overall, the defense knows they have their work cut out for them against the Tar Heels. And while Clowney has been a media sponge this summer, he hasn’t let it get to his head. In addition, Sutton said he can sense the opportunity he has in his final season.

During his weekly call-in show, coach Steve Spurrier said Clowney and Sutton were running extra sprints after practice, getting ready for the highly anticipated season opener.

“That’s always encouraging when your players do a little extra to let everyone know that we are ready to play this week,” Spurrier said.

After months of practice, the time has come to put it all together.