Athletics announces 2014 Gamecock football schedule

South Carolina safety D.J. Swearinger (36) scores a touchdown after recovering a fumble in the first quarter against Alabama-Birmingham at Williams-Brice Stadium in Columbia, South Carolina, on Saturday, September 15, 2012. (Gerry Melendez/The State/MCT)

Thursday home opener to be played against Texas A&M

While Gamecock football hasn’t even kicked off for 2013, its schedule for next year’s season has already been released.

USC Athletics announced the 2014 football season schedule Wednesday morning. Next year’s season-opening game against Texas A&M, which will be Thursday, Aug. 28, 2014, will be the first-ever meeting of the Gamecocks and the Aggies. It will also be the first game broadcast on the new SEC Network, a channel dedicated to programming featuring Southeastern Conference sports. It will launch a week before that game.

The first three games of 2014 will be played at home, and two will be against SEC teams, including Texas A&M. The following week will see the Gamecocks face off against the East Carolina Pirates before taking on conference rival Georgia in week three.

South Carolina will play four more games at home, alternating each week with away games. Two of those matches will be against SEC teams — Missouri and Tennessee — while two will be against non-conference opponents Furman and South Alabama.

The Gamecocks will play all but one of its away games against SEC teams. They will stop at Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Auburn and Florida before heading up to rival Clemson for the traditional end-of-season showdown.

South Carolina will not play Alabama for the fourth consecutive year, meaning many in the class of 2015 will have never seen the two teams face off as college students.