Offensive, Defensive lines return key starters

Defensive line ranks third in nation

The offensive and defensive lines are often overlooked and underappreciated, but this year, the battles in the trenches could determine South Carolina’s fate.

With other position groups scrambling to replace departed starters and much of the weight of the team on his unit’s shoulders, offensive line coach Shawn Elliott is confident that his group can deliver come gameday.

“It’s been a good camp. It’s been a long camp,” Elliott said. “I think we’ve made progress. I think we’re where we need to be.”

Elliott will return four of five starters from the 2012 campaign, with the center position the only missing piece. The left side of the line will be filled out by two redshirt juniors — tackle Corey Robinson, the largest player on the team at 6-foot 8-inches and 341 pounds, and guard A.J. Cann.

Cann comes as the most highly touted offensive lineman entering the season, finding his way on both the All-SEC Second Team and the Outland Trophy watch list, the award given to the best interior lineman in college football.

Ronald Patrick, one of just five seniors on USC’s roster, will start at right guard while redshirt sophomore Brandon Shell will occupy the right tackle spot.

Redshirt freshman Cody Waldrop looked to be the clear choice to take over T.J. Johnson’s center position, but Elliott said a nagging injury could sideline Waldrop for the first game, forcing the coach to make yet another replacement at center.

As Cann looks to lead his unit and, in turn, the rest of his teammates to what they hope will be a historic season, he has not shied away from expectations.

“From the looks of it, as long as we continue to practice good and work hard,” Cann said, “we do have a chance to be the best O-line group that’s been here.”

Not traditionally a glamorous position, South Carolina’s defensive line has received far and away the most attention in the preseason because of 6-foot-6-inch, 274-pound junior defensive end Jadeveon Clowney.

The winner of the 2012 Hendricks Award — which goes to the nation’s best defensive end — spent his offseason winning an ESPY award and rubbing elbows with the likes of Jay Z and LeBron James. Clowney has said that at this point he is ready to put the fame on hold for the season.

“I’m kind of tired of it,” Clowney said. “I’m just ready to play, man, and show people what I’ve got this year. You know, have a good time out here with my team.”

Clowney will bookend the defensive line with senior defensive end Chaz Sutton, and the defensive tackle spots will be filled by junior Kelcy Quarles and redshirt junior J.T. Surratt.

As the third-ranked defensive line in the country by ESPN’s Phil Steele, this unit features depth at each position, a luxury that first-year defensive line coach Deke Adams will look to exploit in 2013.

“I like to leave the first group out for a couple of series and let them get in the flow of things and just see how things go.” Adams said. “And then from that point on, I’ll start rotating guys, and from that point, it’s all about who’s hot and who’s not.”

Two of USC’s key backups on the D-line are redshirt sophomore tackles Gerald Dixon and Gerald Dixon Jr. The half-brothers, known as “Lil G” and “Junior,” respectively, will find playing time in Adams’ rotation system.

Despite the team’s No. 6 ranking, the Gamecock defensive line is the only top-10 position group on the team, leading to talk of a lack of national respect for USC. But according to Clowney, all of the preseason speculation will be erased after the first snap.

“Once you’re on the field and you’re in between those lines, that’s all that matters,” Clowney said. “As long as you get those wins and don’t take any losses, we can be ranked anywhere we want to be ranked.”