Cedrick Cooper set to return to defense

Gamecocks prepare for UCF quarterback Blake Bortles

After South Carolina raced out to a 21-0 lead in the first quarter of its game against Vanderbilt, the Gamecocks were outscored 25-14 in the remaining three quarters.

As the team hits the road to face Central Florida this Saturday, the defense will look to turn in a more consistent performance against a UCF team that secondary coach Grady Brown said should not be taken lightly.

“It’ll be a game where we’ll have to show up, execute our assignment and communicate well in order to have a chance to win this weekend,” Brown said.

Through the first three games of the season, the young South Carolina defense has proven unpredictable. The Gamecocks have taken to allowing opposing offenses to score in droves at some times and forcing convincing three-and-outs at others.

The most inexperienced unit on the defense is the linebackers, as the departure of key defenders Devonte Holloman and Shaq Wilson, among others, has forced several younger players to take on starting roles. But coach Steve Spurrier is confident his youthful linebacker corps is picking it up as they go.

“We’ve had pretty good play,” Spurrier said. “Our linebackers should start getting a little bit better, start making more tackles in there and so forth.”

The linebacker unit will get a bit more help than they’re used to this weekend with redshirt sophomore Cedrick Cooper, a projected starter prior to the start of the season, set to play for the first time this season against Central Florida.

The Gamecock coaching staff had high expectations for Cooper before an elbow injury sidelined him for the first three games of the year, and he is chomping at the bit to get his chance to make an impact.

“I’m very eager,” Cooper said. “I’ve been sitting out way too long, watching the other players play and make plays and I’m just sitting on the sideline. I’m being a good cheerleader, but I’m tired of cheering and I’m ready to play.”

While not starting at all last year, Cooper played in 11 games for South Carolina and registered one tackle.

One of the most daunting tasks the Gamecock defense will have to contend with is UCF’s star under center — quarterback Blake Bortles.

The Knights’ signal caller has thrown for 816 yards and seven touchdowns in their 3-0 start to the season while only throwing one interception.

“He’s a good quarterback,” Brown said. “He’s a guy that has a strong arm. He’s a guy that’s well-coached, knows where the ball should go. He’ll be one of the top quarterbacks that we’ll face this year.”

Bortles’ main calling card is his productivity when he has the ball in his hands. He ranks fifth in the country this year in passing efficiency and eighth nationally in passing yards per completion.

The defense registered its first turnover of the year in the third quarter of the Vanderbilt game, and Spurrier said the focus against Central Florida will be forcing takeaways on defense.

“I’m still waiting for some scoring to come from our defense,” Spurrier said. “Hopefully that’s going to happen real soon.”

Forcing a turnover against the UCF offense will be no small task for the Gamecock defense. The Knights have given up the ball only once this season, landing them at second in the nation in turnovers lost.

With the Gamecock defense drawing both praise and criticism this year, Cooper said that for the consistency of his unit to improve, everybody must do their part.

“It’s a team effort. You can’t just blame it on linebackers,” Cooper said. “Everyone has a certain job. And when you do that job, then there’s really not that many mistakes.”