Gamecocks wary of young Georgia defense

Anderson returns to the offense

How coach Steve Spurrier would utilize his two quarterbacks was one of the biggest story lines in South Carolina football leading up to the season.

And with one game in the books, his strategy is still not clear as the Gamecocks (1-0) prepare for Georgia (0-1) Saturday.

Senior Connor Shaw threw for 149 yards and a touchdown in the opener against North Carolina, taking every offensive snap but one. In the only play Shaw sat out, redshirt junior Dylan Thompson tossed a 29-yard touchdown.

“Dylan’s a very good quarterback, and he needs to play a little bit,” Spurrier said. “How that works out, I just don’t know yet. But we’ve got two good ones, and there may be a point where we need to play both of them. Who knows?”

Shaw’s ability to run after a play looks dead could be a factor this week, as the Bulldog defense gave up 43 yards and two touchdowns on the ground to Clemson last week.

“That’s what you want your quarterback to do,” Spurrier said. “When nothing’s there, go run for a first down. When something’s there, hang in there, and make the throw.”

South Carolina’s depth at other offensive positions will see improvement Saturday, as the unit will have several of its weapons available against Georgia that were sidelined in the first game.

Junior tight end Rory Anderson, a preseason second-team All-SEC selection, should be ready to suit up for his first game of the season Saturday, and Spurrier said senior wide receiver Bruce Ellington is “100 percent” after being limited against North Carolina.

“Our team’s pretty healthy I think right now,” Spurrier said.

On the other side of the injury list is true freshman center Cody Waldrop, who has been in a walking boot all week after starting against the Tar Heels. Redshirt freshman Clayton Stadnik is set to step in and start at center if Waldrop is unable to go.

Georgia’s defensive unit will look significantly different from the Georgia defense the Gamecocks faced in 2012. Seven Bulldogs from the defensive side of the ball were selected in April’s NFL draft, and the unit returned only five starters from last year.

Despite the Bulldogs’ obvious losses, Shaw said he is being careful not to take the new Georgia defense lightly.

“They lost a lot of guys, but they’re still strong on defense,” Shaw said. “They’re going to fly around. They’re going to have their backs against the ropes after a loss last week, so they’re going to be prepared for next week.”

One of Georgia’s key starters, safety Josh Harvey-Clemons, will make his 2013 debut against the Gamecocks after serving a suspension during week one. He has been pegged to help make up for the loss of last year’s all-star defense.

Spurrier insists that regardless of wins and losses, a rivalry game like Saturday’s could wipe the slate clean for both teams.

“It’s always one of our big ones of the year,” Spurrier said. “We’ll look forward to going over there and seeing if we can have one of our best games in a long time, and hopefully our best game of the season.”