South Carolina drops first game of season

Gamecocks fail to score despite 17 shots

The women’s soccer team turned in its first loss of the season in its Southeastern Conference opener on the road Friday night, losing to Georgia 2-0. The Gamecocks once again controlled possession, but it was Georgia (8-1-0) who was able to capitalize on its opportunities.

“We played good soccer,” coach Shelley Smith said. “We kept the ball, we won the 50-50 balls in the air, you know, we came to play. We competed and we just didn’t find the back of the net. So when that’s missing, unfortunately that’s how you win games.”

South Carolina (7-1-1) threatened a score early as freshman midfielder Chelsea Drennan was able to get off two shots in the first six minutes. Drennan led the team with four shots total for the match.

“I just really wanted to give us a chance whenever I had an opportunity,” Drennan said.

The Bulldogs responded to the early pressure, netting a goal in the eighth minute. Georgia freshman Marion Crowder tapped the ball past junior goalie Sabrina D’Angelo into the right corner of the net off a cross from just inside the right side of the box.

Georgia added to its lead in the 32nd minute, when senior midfielder Laura Eddy sent a low shot from around 18 yards out past D’Angelo inside the left post to make the score 2-0.

South Carolina held an 8-4 shot advantage at the end of the first half, yet still found itself down two goals.

The second half didn’t provide any breakthroughs for the Gamecocks. Their best chance came in the 53rd minute when freshman forward Sophie Groff launched a shot from 35 yards out towards the right side of the net. However, Georgia goalie Caitlin Woody laid out to keep South Carolina off the board.

Despite the two goals for Georgia, the Gamecocks controlled ball possession and shots throughout the match, outshooting Georgia 17-9. South Carolina put seven shots on goal to Georgia’s four.

“It’s definitely very frustrating,” Drennan said. “We controlled most of the game possession-wise stressed in the final third. We need to be better. And we will be better.”

Spanning over the last two games, South Carolina has registered 34 shots but has only managed to net one.

“I think we got a little excited sometimes,” senior midfielder Elizabeth Sinclair said. “We weren’t really thinking; we didn’t have the composure that we usually do. Our offense has been doing really well all along, and sometimes you just have those games, but what’s important is that it doesn’t keep carrying over.”

Smith stayed positive, noting the team has continued to put themselves in good scoring positions. However, she stressed the team needs to be better in the offensive third of the field. Defensively, Smith was pleased with the effort.

“We didn’t give them any other looks. That’s the game of soccer unfortunately,” Smith said. “You’re going to lose sometimes, but we have to just keep playing like we have been and make sure we put finishes on opponents like we have been.”

The Gamecocks will look to bounce back when they play their first conference home game this Friday against the Auburn Tigers at home.