Theatre SC presents season premier

“Arcadia” kicks-off as opening performance at Drayton Hall

This Friday, Theatre South Carolina will premier its first production of the season, Tom Stoppard’s “Arcadia” at Drayton Hall Theatre. This critically acclaimed play is directed by Louis Butelli, respected actor and director as well as the co-founder of Psittacus Productions based in Los Angeles.

Set in a one-room British cottage, the play merges two stories of different time periods to focus on knowledge and lust through the times. One half focuses on a 13-year-old genius in 1807 who makes mathematical discoveries beyond her years, which remain hidden until her 2013 counterpart discovers her book of findings. The dual focus is shown throughout the scenes in front of the Victorian-style house background, painted faintly blue.

Butelli said the play shows the struggle between the characters’ desire for knowledge while they are pulled toward lust.

“It’s so intelligent,” Butelli said. “But it’s sexy.”

He said that although the material is complicated and full of dialogue, it is never boring and is still easy to understand.

“For me, I find the play to be like if you were looking over the shoulder of your smartest friend,” Butelli said.

The cast of Master’s of Fine Arts students, as well as some undergraduate students, found the complex plot challenging, but in the most enjoyable way. Their five weeks of preparation were short compared to other plays, but they were driven by the challenge to make a successful production.

“It’s been a long process, but it’s so rewarding,” said first-year MFA student Jason Fernandes, who plays the roles of Augustus and Gus Coverly. “It’s very intellectual and deep. There’s a lot of references that get dropped that people might not pick up, but it’s still easy enough for the audience to enjoy.”

Second-year MFA student James Costello, who plays the character Septimus, said there’s a kind of depth that both the cast and the audience can appreciate.

“There’s an element of mystery,” Costello said. “As actors we get to pick out how to talk about these references, and it’s interesting to see how the audience picks up these clues.”

The actors agreed that one of the most challenging parts of a play like this that mixes humor, drama, lust, sex and knowledge is translating these aspects into something relatable and exciting.

“It’s difficult to discover how we can make these complex theories and ideas be interesting,” said second-year MFA student Cory Lipman, who plays Valentine. “It’s not a lecture, but it provides a wonderful channel for everyone involved to learn something new. The challenge is taking this information and turning it into a play.”

Intricate settings, lighting and music have made the play come full circle into a performance they hope will wow the crowd and take the audience on a journey through time.

“Arcadia” premieres at 8 p.m. Friday, Sept. 27 at Drayton Hall Theater.