Heck: Ward to simplify defensive scheme

Assistant coaches brawl on sideline

The South Carolina defense was exposed like it hasn’t been in quite some time on Saturday against the Bulldogs.

During the past four or five years, the Gamecocks were developing a defense that was comparable to those of other top Southeastern Conference teams, like Alabama and LSU.

Last season, South Carolina’s defense was a top-15 unit, and at the start of this season, it appeared that the Gamecocks would be OK, despite losing most of their firepower from last year.

Against the Tar Heels, South Carolina allowed only 293 yards on 79 plays, which averages out to 3.7 yards a play. Everyone knew that UNC would be a challenge for the Gamecock defense because of the way they played, but South Carolina weathered the storm.

They did nothing of that nature against Georgia, and it raised some big question marks. Any time you surrender 536 yards, there is legitimate cause for concern.

Yes, it’s only two games into the season, but coach Steve Spurrier and defensive coordinator Lorenzo Ward sounded very concerned following Saturday’s game.

The tussle between defensive line coach Deke Adams and linebackers coach Kirk Botkin didn’t help matters either. And while we’re on that point, you wouldn’t have caught me getting in front of Botkin mid-scream, so kudos to you, Lorenzo.

Spurrier and Ward said they weren’t too concerned with the argument, however, and I don’t think there is much behind it either. But it does show how frustrated the coaching staff was during Saturday’s game.

I liked what Spurrier had to say afterward about simplifying the defensive coverage and getting back to fundamentals. This strategy was highly successful when the Gamecocks were struggling a bit on pass defense during the 2010 season. That year, South Carolina’s opponents averaged 241 passing yards a game.

Toward the end of 2010 and throughout 2011, the coaching staff simplified the defense.

The result? The Gamecocks gave up only 132 passing yards per game in 2011, nearly 110 yards less than the season before. The 2011 pass defense was the second-best in the country.

Because of this, South Carolina fans should be optimistic about the future and what Spurrier had to say. In addition, Spurrier and Ward are too good of coaches to give up more than 500 yards each week.

However, while fans should be optimistic, they shouldn’t be naive. The defense will go experience growing pains this year, particularly the linebacker/spur core. With three new starters, they still have to get used to SEC football.

In addition, the 2011 pass defense had Stephon Gilmore, a future first-round NFL draft pick, to lean on. Sure, this year’s team has Jadeveon Clowney, but he needs more help around him.

With that being said, South Carolina has the ability and talent to recover from Georgia. I expect a much-improved showing against Vanderbilt this week and throughout the season. But it will probably be a year — or two at the most — before the Gamecocks are once again a top-15 defense.
Not there yet, ACC

There have been murmurs around the country from certain coaches that the Atlantic Coast Conference is on the rise and getting on the level of the SEC.

I say not so fast. Just because Clemson and Miami beat two top-15 teams at home this season does not wipe away the past.

The ACC is 3-13 all-time in BCS games, with their most recent win coming in last year’s Orange Bowl, when Florida State defeated Northern Illinois, a real national powerhouse.

And we can’t forget the 70-33 thumping that West Virginia delivered to Clemson in the 2011 Orange Bowl.

When the ACC can consistently win BCS games and start defeating top-15 SEC teams on the road, they can say they are moving on up. But let’s not get ahead of ourselves.