Women's golf turns in 2nd place finish

Gamecocks spend weekend at Mercedes-Benz Collegiate Classic

Just like the rain that stormed into Nashville, Tenn., this weekend, the South Carolina women’s golf team watched as Arkansas stormed back to beat them in the Mercedes-Benz Collegiate Classic.

After the Gamecocks jumped out to a quick lead in day one, the second day of competition was rained out. The Razorbacks would take the lead when play resumed, pushing South Carolina to a second-place finish in a field of 17 teams.

Freshman Katelyn Dambaugh, competing in just her second collegiate tournament, was in first place at 3-under-par when the first day of competition came to a close.

“It was a new feeling to me, but I was shocked really. I wasn’t expecting myself to finish high,” Dambaugh said. “But I was mostly pleased with how our team was on top; that’s what I was pleased with.”

Dambaugh helped lead her team to the top of the overall leaderboard, with the Gamecocks at 5-under-par, three shots ahead of Arkansas.

But rain washed out Saturday’s round, shortening the tournament to two days and to 36 holes instead of 54.

“[The rain] slowed us down,” Dambaugh said. “After having such a good first round, we were ready and pumped up into the second round, and then waiting and waiting to hear what they were going to decide on whether we were going to play or not slowed us down just sitting there.”

Coming out for the final round Sunday, three teams — Arkansas, Louisville and South Carolina — all got off to sluggish starts. Arkansas regained composure and ended up winning the tournament.

“I think Arkansas got a little bit of momentum at the right time, and we had a few mistakes,” South Carolina coach Kalen Harris said.

Although the Gamecocks did not win the tournament, they saw four top-12 finishes, including senior Samantha Swinehart at second overall at 2-under-par, her first top-five finish.

Mary Fran Hillow, a sophomore, finished seventh overall at 1-under-par, her first top-10 finish, and sophomore Sarah Schmelzel came in at 1-over-par and tied for 12th overall.

After a fast start, Dambaugh finished eighth overall, closing Sunday’s round shooting even par. Her score was a career best, and this was her first time finishing in the top 10.

Harris said she was pleased with the four top-12 finishes and second overall placement.

“Overall, it was very positive; we did a lot of great things. I’m very happy with the way we are playing,” Harris said. “There are a lot of really good things going on, and we need to stay patient, and we will win one at some point. We’re in there and competing for championships.”

After this weekend’s tournament, coaches and players both have positive takeaways from the finish.

“Mentally, we are stronger. Just by being in the lead and having people come back behind us, we are more aware of what can happen,” Dambaugh said. “We are more mentally tough knowing what we have to do and stop focusing on everyone else.”

Harris said that after watching her golfers act light-heartedly and joke around all weekend, she sees the bond of the team strengthening. She said that the team played cards together (in which she “dominated”) and that the esprit de corps is just going to make the team better.

“We keep things light. This is a great group. Everyone gets along really well,” Harris said. “And it makes it more fun. They have great camaraderie, and in tense moments, it’s nice to joke around and have that element that we have together. I think it will take us a long way.”