Frank Martin starts preseason with mixed emotions

New players revamp Gamecocks’ roster

Entering the men’s basketball team’s first practice of the preseason Monday, second-year Gamecock coach Frank Martin did not know what to expect.

Martin spent the offseason bringing eight brand new faces to the program, and in his first press conference of the season Tuesday, the coach had mixed emotions about the upcoming season.

“I went home and I was extremely excited about our possibilities,” Martin said. “Then we sat down and watched film and there were a million and one mistakes, both fundamental mistakes and effort mistakes, understanding mistakes, all fixable”

With seven freshman and one transfer, fans can expect a completely revamped team when South Carolina hosts its first exhibition match of the season on Nov. 3 against USC Aiken.

While Martin acknowledges that none of the freshman are finished products, he said he was pleased with the emotion he saw from his young team in Monday’s practice.

“I’ll tell you what I see from the freshman,” Martin said. “I see a courage to make a play that you’ve got to have to be good.”

Martin’s 2013 recruiting class, lead by ESPN’s 41st-ranked player, Sindarius Thornwell, will have little veteran leadership to look towards, as Brenton Williams will be the sole senior on the team until Bruce Ellington returns to the hardwood after football season. But speaking to the media Tuesday, Williams and sophomore returning starter Michael Carrera both said they will embrace leadership roles this season.