Media focuses too much on negative stories

A shift to positive news could change public mindset

Generally, the average adult wakes up in the morning, gets themselves ready for the day and listens to or reads some type of news. The stories that news outlets present in the world are packed with devastation, eliciting negative outlooks.

Instead of filling our news programs with panic and distress, there are plenty of stories happening every day that we could tell viewers about. For instance, Malala Yousafzai, a 15-year-old girl, was boarding her school bus like any other typical day with her schoolmates when a member of the Taliban boarded and shot her in the head.

When the Taliban invaded Swat Valley, Pakistan, a common power tactic was to intervene with schools and either shut them down or start shooting. Either way, the importance of education dwindled in comparison to survival. “If they are not given pencils, they will be given guns,” Yousafzai said in an interview.

Now 16 years old, Yousafzai is the youngest person to be nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize. She wrote a book, “I Am Malala,” created The Malala Fund and continues to advocate for women’s rights and education — all impressive achievements, to say the least. Malala is one of many women this week to make headlines with notable accomplishments.

This past weekend, the Ironman Triathlon was held in Kailua-Kona, Hawaii. The 2.4-mile swim, 112-mile bike ride and 26.2-mile marathon is a test of endurance, commitment and spirit. At 78 years old, Harriet Anderson crossed the finish line after 16 hours and 57 minutes of pure heart and sweat, showing that at any age, if you set a goal and are resilient to succeed, nothing is out of bounds.
Establishing another milestone for women was Mirinda Carfrae who set the women’s record finish time at eight hours, 52 minutes and 14 seconds.

Women of all ages and races have captured the attention of people around the globe because they are being exactly who they want to be, with no restraints, no limits. Women are in a period of time where piety and submissiveness are no longer desirable characteristics, replaced with a desire for exploration and independence.

Presenting positive stories in the media typically correlates to fewer viewers, meaning less money and angry owners. Violence and terror capture people’s attention. They want more information andwant to watch more.

Filling our media outlets with negative stories involving kidnappings, shootings, war and scandals only causes viewers to think about these depressing news stories instead of uplifting stories. People like to discuss the news in class or at work, causing continued chatting about these hostile situations in our world. If the media were to switch strategies and fill their broadcast time with more encouraging stories, it could go a long way in improving the public’s general outlook on life.