Volleyball loses both games over weekend

Swanson disappointed with effort level of team

The ball screamed over the net to the Tennessee side. The Volunteers’ Lexi Dempsey turned as the ball deflected off her side and right back over the net, falling harmlessly in between a couple of Gamecock defenders for a point. Just like that, a surefire South Carolina kill turned into a point for the other team. If one kill could epitomize an entire match, it would be that one, as South Carolina fell 3-0 to Tennessee at home Friday.

The Volunteers (9-14, 1-8 SEC) upset the Gamecocks (11-11, 3-7 SEC) at South Carolina’s annual Dig Pink event, taking the match by the scores of 25-19, 25-18, 25-17. The Gamecocks also lost to Auburn (13-8, 4-5 SEC) on Sunday 3-0 to the scores of 25-22, 25-22, 25-23.

“I was very, very frustrated with our effort level on Friday and just our mental approach to that match,” head coach Scott Swanson said. “I’m trying to keep a good perspective about it because we have so many young players that we’re relying on. The bottom line is that some of them just aren’t ready for the SEC.”

Tennessee took an early 11-7 lead in the first game after an attack error as well as a ball-handling error. South Carolina took a timeout, but the Volunteers maintained a comfortable lead and cruised to a 25-19 win.

Sophomore Sarah Blomgren paced the Gamecocks with five kills in the second game, but that would not be enough to hold off the Volunteers. Tennessee would use four three-point bursts throughout the match to create separation with South Carolina. That would be enough for Tennessee, as they would use two South Carolina attack errors and a service error to take the final three points as well as the second match 25-18.

Tennessee would use a 12-2 run in the middle of the third game to distance themselves from the Gamecocks. Freshman outside hitter Jamie Lea would complete the upset with her fifth kill of the match on the final point of the third game.

The Volunteers’ win over South Carolina is their first SEC win, a feat the Gamecocks saw Mississippi State accomplish against them last weekend.

“We seem to play better against teams that people think should beat us,” Swanson said. “You know, I think we feel a lot less pressure when we’re going up against a Kentucky or a Georgia or any of those teams who are doing really well right now.”

Next in line for the Gamecocks was Auburn, which traveled to Columbia on Sunday for the first meeting of the two teams this season.

Bringing a different energy than they did Friday, the Gamecocks got off to a hot start Sunday. But, like Friday, South Carolina allowed the opposing team to go on a long runs to grab control of the set.

A 9-2 run in the first set, and a 7-1 run in the second set would allow Auburn to create leads, which they would use to fend off late Gamecock rallies.

With their backs against the wall in the third set, South Carolina fell in a quick 5-1 hole. The Gamecocks would use nine kills between Thévenin and Dozier to get back in contention, but saw the Tigers break away to take the set 25-23 and the match 3-0.

Blomgren led the Gamecocks in efficiency Sunday, registering a .353 shot percentage coupled with seven kills. The sophomore addressed South Carolina’s slow start Friday, saying the team needed to shed its sluggish ways.

“After Friday night, we all talked about it and said we need to learn to come out on fire,” Blomgren said. “We tried that, and it worked. But we just have to learn to keep the fire longer and keep the pressure on them longer.”

South Carolina will host Coastal Carolina 6 p.m. Wednesday, as they take a break from conference play.