Women's soccer wins two overtime games over weekend

South Carolina first SEC team in history to win back-to-back games at Florida

The South Carolina women’s soccer team won two overtime games in three days on the road this weekend and made history in the process.

With the team’s 2-1 double-overtime victory at No. 8 Florida on Friday, the Gamecocks (11-1-1, 4-1-0) became the first team in SEC history to win back-to-back games at Florida. For the first time in program history, South Carolina has knocked off two top-10 opponents in the same season, the other coming against then-No. 7 Duke on Aug. 25.

The Gamecocks concluded their weekend road trip in Knoxville with a 1-0 overtime victory over the Tennessee Volunteers on Sunday.

“It means a lot. We know and understand how hard it is to go on the road in the SEC and win away,” head coach Shelley Smith said. “This is one of the most exceptional weekends we’ve ever had on the road.”

Drama filled the overtime periods in the history-setting victory at Florida on Friday night. After South Carolina staved off a couple Gator chances in the first overtime, the two teams headed to double overtime knotted at one apiece. The game appeared to be over for a brief moment in the 103rd minute when Florida striker Savannah Jordan put the ball in the back of the net. However, she was ruled offside, keeping the match going.

“I think that really lit a fire under all of us, and it was like all right, this is real; we actually need to score,” redshirt junior defender Taylor Leach said. “It was just a battle the whole game, especially in the overtimes. It was unreal.”

Leach ended the game in the 109th minute off a corner kick from freshman midfielder Chelsea Drennan, a play that looked eerily similar to a missed chance in the 79th minute. This time, however, Leach was able to put her header closer to the right post. The ball found the back of the net and gave the Gamecocks a thrilling victory.

Sophomore forward Bay Daniel broke the scoreless tie in the 38th minute on the Gamecocks’ only opportunity of the first half. Florida responded with the equalizer in the 45th minute only seconds before halftime.

South Carolina was outshot 10-5 by the Gators on Friday, but made sure to capitalize on their opportunities.

“We have to run hard in the box and want to score goals, and the couple opportunities we had, we did that. Our players stepped up to the challenge and wanted to win and you could see it,” Smith said.

Leach received AgSouth Athlete of the Week as well as SEC Defensive Player of the Week honors for her play this weekend.

Sunday’s victory needed another gritty effort from the Gamecocks. Dominating possession throughout the game, South Carolina held a 14-4 shot advantage after regulation but had yet to break through. The first chance they had in overtime would be the only one they needed.

Less than three minutes into overtime, senior captain Elizabeth Sinclair sent a pass down the right side splitting two Tennessee defenders to find sophomore midfielder Raina Johnson. Only a few yards from the end line, Johnson kicked the ball across her body towards the far left post past Tennessee goalie Julie Eckel for the game-winner.

“We pretty much just put everything else aside and take it one game at a time,” Johnson said. “No matter what happens off the field or on the field we just need to take care of business when it’s time to go and that’s what we’ve been doing.”