Gamecocks fall to No. 23 Baylor in last second

Baylor mens basketball defeated South Carolina University 66-64 at the Ferrell Center on Tuesday, November 12, 2013. 

Travis Taylor | Lariat Photo Editor
Baylor mens basketball defeated South Carolina University 66-64 at the Ferrell Center on Tuesday, November 12, 2013. Travis Taylor | Lariat Photo Editor

It took all 40 minutes to settle the score between the South Carolina men’s basketball team and Baylor, as the Bears escaped by the skin of their teeth Tuesday with a 66-64 victory.

The Gamecocks fell just short of an upset over No. 23 Baylor in Waco, Texas, as the score went back and forth for most of the contest before it ended on a controversial no-call. Sophomore forward Michael Carrera collected a rebound in the paint with less than a second left and was supposedly fouled on his put-back attempt, but after deliberating, the officials decided that the infraction occurred just after the clock hit zeros.

Despite the loss, Tuesday’s game served as a statement for coach Frank Martin’s young team, as the contest was broadcast nationally during ESPN’s annual 24-hour basketball marathon.

Sindarius Thornwell, one of seven freshman on the roster this year, scored a game-high 20 points, and the team’s lone senior, Brenton Williams,followed with 12. Other notable statistics include Carrera’s team-best seven rebounds and junior guard Tyrone Johnson’s eight assists.

South Carolina sits at 1-1 after Tuesday’s loss and a victory in the season opener. The Gamecocks’ next contest is another road tilt at Clemson on Sunday.