Men's soccer upsets No. 10 UAB on road

Goals in eighth and 84th minute prove to be difference

The South Carolina men’s soccer team had a dramatic come-from-behind upset victory on the road against No. 10 UAB Sunday by a score of 4-3.

The big win for the Gamecocks puts their record at 7-5-5, with a 4-1-3 Conference USA record.
Sophomore midfielder Jeffrey Torda led the team with two goals in the game. One of them came in the eighth minute and the other came in the 84th.

After Torda’s early goal, UAB scored the next two goals, taking the lead back. The Gamecocks tied it up in the 60th minute with a goal from freshman forward Eli Dent. South Carolina then fell behind another goal, but rallied late with two goals in the 84th minute, the first by Torda, and the game-winner from junior forward Asa Kryst.

Assists came from freshman defender Koty Millard, junior midfielder Stephen Anderson and senior midfielder J.P. Rafferty. Freshman goalkeeper Marco Velez also contributed with three saves.

After the game, head coach Mark Berson couldn’t have been more proud of what his team had accomplished.

“To beat the No. 10 team in the country on the road is a good accomplishment. We had to come from behind twice to secure the win, which really speaks to the determination and fighting power of this team,” Berson said. “We’ve played a tough schedule. These guys are battle-hardened, and they showed it this afternoon. It’s also a very important win in the conference.”

Torda was also proud of his team for its gutsy effort in the victory.

“It was a big win for our team. You have to beat some of the best teams to be able to say that you can play with those guys. I think we can compete with some of the best teams, and this is a good win to have on our resume,” Torda said.

As the Gamecocks’ season is coming to an end, they will soon begin postseason play in the Conference USA Tournament beginning in a little over a week. With the Gamecocks’ big victory against UAB, Torda believes they have a lot of momentum going into the tourney.

“We’ve been playing really well as of late. We recently beat New Mexico (a top-25 team) and have been hitting our stride, putting together a lot of good games lately, which is what you want to do late in the season,” Torda said.

“If we can put together a good game against Old Dominion (on Saturday), it could really go a long way, and I like our chances at making the NCAA tourney. We want to do everything we can to win our conference tournament, which I believe we have the capability to do. We just have to put the work in, never give up and just keep fighting.”

The Gamecocks’ next game is Saturday’s Senior Night game against Old Dominion at Stone Stadium, and Torda knows they’re going to have to bring their A-game.

“Old Dominion is a really good team in our conference and it’s going to be a battle like our last two games have been,” Torda said. “If we continue to keep working hard, play solid defensively and put in some goals, I like our chances.”