USC tops Clemson to extend record-breaking winning streak

Shaw remains undefeated at home after final game in Williams-Brice

In a season full of firsts for South Carolina football, perhaps the most significant one came on Saturday night when the Gamecocks beat Clemson 31-17 for their fifth-consecutive win over their arch rival.

“It was a wonderful win for us,” coach Steve Spurrier said. “We’re very fortunate, we know that. They’re a good team that continues not playing very well when they play us for some reason.”

Within South Carolina’s five-year run against the Tigers has been the career of senior quarterback Connor Shaw, who, with Saturday’s win, went undefeated against Clemson in his time in Columbia. The game also served as Shaw’s last hurrah in front of a home crowd at Williams-Brice, an opportunity that he took advantage of as he was the engine that powered the Gamecock offense from start to finish.

“Connor Shaw, oh man, best quarterback in school history” Spurrier said. “He was probably the difference-maker completely for us – running the ball, throwing the ball – he had a sensational day.”

After hearing his coach’s high praise, Shaw allowed himself a moment to reflect on his career in Columbia and with the Head Ball Coach.

“Especially coming from coach Spurrier – because he’s very critical – it means the world to me,” Shaw said. “I grew up idolizing him when he was at Florida, and it’s a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to come play for him.”

Shaw threw for 152 yards and a touchdown in the contest, and he also finished the game as South Carolina’s leading rusher on the day, racking up 123 yards and a touchdown on the ground. The win over Clemson capped off a perfect 17-0 record at home for Shaw in his career in the garnet and black.

“I’m so grateful to our fans, man. It’s been a hell of a ride in four years here.” Shaw said. “So thank you, to Gamecock nation.”

Shaw was helped by several key catches from sophomore wide receiver Shaq Roland, not including a controversial non-catch that would have resulted in a touchdown had the officials not deemed it an incompletion. The sophomore finished with three grabs for 40 yards and a touchdown.

Shaw’s emotions paired with necessity could have been the cause for his big game Saturday, as the South Carolina running backs couldn’t seem to find any breathing room. Sophomore tailback Mike Davis compiled just 25 yards on 15 carries in the contest, although he did find the endzone once.

“We couldn’t find any running plays that worked except the quarterback draw,” Spurrier said. “So they were getting some pressure and they had us stymied there for a while.”

Despite the two-touchdown margin of victory on the final score-line, the game was a back-and-forth affair Saturday. Though Clemson never led in the contest, the two teams traded touchdowns and field goals for the bulk of the game.

After a scoreless third quarter for the Gamecocks, the game was tied at 17 entering the final 15 minutes of play. But it would be all South Carolina from there, as the Gamecocks found the endzone twice in the fourth quarter and took two interceptions off of Tiger quarterback Tajh Boyd to secure the monumental win.

With Missouri’s win over Texas A&M shortly after South Carolina’s game concluded, the Gamecocks know they will not get a chance to play for the SEC title against an Auburn team that Spurrier called a “team of destiny.” But with a 10-2 record at the end of the regular season and a bowl game on the horizon, Spurrier said he couldn’t be more pleased with his Gamecocks as the year comes to a close.

“I’m really proud of this team,” Spurrier said. “I was thinking back of all the team’s I’ve had, these guys may have achieved the most for such a young bunch of guys.”