Gamecocks hope to silent Henderson, Rebels

Tyrone Johnson likely out for season with broken ankle

The men’s basketball team is still searching for its first SEC win and perhaps with coach Frank Martin being commemorated this weekend, the results will turn out in the Gamecocks’ favor on Saturday when they face Ole Miss.

A victory against one of college basketball’s most polarizing players — the Rebels’ senior guard Marshall Henderson — will be no simple task. Unless you’re an Ole Miss fan, Henderson tops the list of many college basketball fans’ most-hated players.

His intensity and in-your-face demonstrations while playing are what the senior is known for. South Carolina (7-9, 0-3 SEC) will have to avoid buying into his shenanigans on Saturday evening, and to help do that, the team may want to rollout last season’s tape against the Rebels (11-5, 2-1 SEC).

In that dramatic 63-62 victory for the Gamecocks, Henderson managed only 11 points and was held to 3-of-11 shooting.

Still, South Carolina head coach Frank Martin knows what Henderson can bring on any given night.
“As the opposing coach, he’s an unbelievable player,” Martin said. “It’s 19 points a game. If you’re a half-second late, a half-step late, it’s a three in the basket.”

Henderson is not afraid to shoot, but he is only making around 36 percent of his shots for the year. Most of his shots come from three-point range, with 150 of his 191 shot attempts coming from beyond the arc.

“He’s an unbelievable competitor,” Martin said. “I don’t think anyone gives him the credit he deserves for the competitor that he is. He elevates the players around him because of his competitiveness. I’ve got a lot of respect for what Marshall Henderson does as a player.”

If he gets going, South Carolina freshman guard Sindarius Thornwell could be called on to match Henderson’s scoring. Martin said in his Tuesday press conference that he has been pushing Thornwell to be more consistently aggressive.

Thornwell’s scoring prowess was on display in last Saturday’s contest against LSU, when he scored 25 points while going 9-for-13 from the field. But in Wednesday’s 75-67 loss against Texas A&M, Thornwell put up only five points and took just seven shots. The Gamecocks will likely need him to shine if they are to outlast the Rebels.

Martin also mentioned the improvement of freshman forward Desmond Ringer at his Tuesday press conference. Ringer saw extended playing time against Texas A&M and performed well, making all three of his shots, while also making an impact on the glass. He finished with nine points and seven rebounds on the night.

“He’s learning to throw that big ol’ body around a little bit better,” Martin said. “He’s going after the ball rather than standing there waiting for the ball.”

Martin added that the coaches are working with Ringer on his ability to score over size in the post. Sometimes, the Gamecocks just need him to occupy two defenders so that one of Ringer’s teammates can get an easy offensive rebound and score, he said. Martin said he believes the forward has the skill set to become a consistent rebounder on both ends of the floor.

“He’s got the will; he’s about the right things,” Martin said. “He’s not one of those guys that will dazzle you with athleticism. There’s some guys that have great athleticism and can’t withstand. He’s been given a body that withstands contact.”

South Carolina took a major hit against the Aggies on Wednesday when it lost junior guard Tyrone Johnson to a broken ankle; he will likely miss the rest of the season. Martin said that with Johnson’s absence, freshman guard Jaylen Shaw will see a bigger role.

Johnson was key in some of the early wins for the Gamecocks, but with him gone, the team is not making excuses. It still expects to line up against the Rebels at 4:30 p.m. on Saturday and come out with a victory.

“Our confidence hasn’t changed,” freshman guard Duane Notice said. “If anything, it’s gotten more hungry. We realize that we need to win at home.”