Gamecocks lead Badgers 20-17 in Capital One Bowl after 3 quarters

<p>Bruce Ellington was selected in the fourth round of the 2014 <span class="caps">NFL</span> Draft by the San Francisco 49ers.</p>
Bruce Ellington was selected in the fourth round of the 2014 NFL Draft by the San Francisco 49ers.

Shaw, Ellington trade roles, connect for 3 touchdowns

ORLANDO, Fla. — First Connor Shaw connected with Bruce Ellington for a touchdown. Then they traded roles and scored again. Then the duo struck one more time.

All three of South Carolina’s touchdowns have been pass plays between the two, including one in the third quarter that gave the Gamecocks a 20-17 lead in the Capital One Bowl.

South Carolina scored its second touchdown of the game on a 9-yard pass from wide receiver Ellington to quarterback Shaw. No, really. Patrick Fish, South Carolina’s holder, picked up a botched snap on the point after attempt and made an unsuccessful run for two points.

The third quarter also saw a fumble by Shaw, but Wisconsin kicker Jack Russell missed a 42-yard field goal attempt, mitigating the damage.

Earlier in the game, Ellington nabbed a deep, 39-yard touchdown pass after an improbable interception by linebacker Skai Moore.

A pass by Wisconsin quarterback Joel Stave late in the quarter bounced off the leg of a teammate before it landed in Moore’s hands.

Shaw answered with the deep ball to Ellington, ending a back-and-forth streak of unsuccessful first-quarter drives by the teams.

The game started off promising enough for the Gamecocks, with a 20-yard pass to Ellington, who leads the team with 91 receiving yards with 5 minutes left in the half.

But South Carolina was stopped on third down after Shaw was sacked, punting from the Wisconsin 36-yard line into the end zone.