South Carolina lands at No. 4 in final AP poll

<p>Junior defensive end Jadeveon Clowney celebrates his last win at South Carolina with teammate Sharrod Golightly at the Capital One Bowl on Jan. 1.</p>
Junior defensive end Jadeveon Clowney celebrates his last win at South Carolina with teammate Sharrod Golightly at the Capital One Bowl on Jan. 1.

Gamecocks top school record with end-of-season ranking

The South Carolina football program has broken yet another school record with the release of the final Associated Press and USA Today Polls of the 2013 season, finishing fourth in the nation in each.

“Being ranked No. 4 in both major polls is an honor for the University of South Carolina and for our football program,” coach Steve Spurrier told gamecocksonline.com. “Thanks to the players for achieving another 11-2 record.”

The Gamecocks reeled off their third-straight 11-win season this year, capped off by the 34-24 triumph over Wisconsin in the Capital One Bowl on New Year’s Day.

The final rankings come on the heels of coach Steve Spurrier’s proclamation that South Carolina is the “national champion of bowl season,” a claim that is supported by some staggering facts.

The Gamecocks beat six teams that won bowl games this year, including victories over BCS game winners UCF and Clemson — marks that no other team in the country beat.

At the No. 4-spot, South Carolina is behind only national championship contenders Florida State and Auburn and Rose Bowl champion Michigan State. The Gamecocks are the second-highest-ranked SEC team in the final poll, and first in the SEC East with Missouri, polled at No. 5.

But perhaps the number that’s most satisfying to South Carolina fans: the Gamecocks are a solid four spots ahead of Clemson, who finished at No. 8.

A testament to South Carolina’s run of success, the program is in good company with Alabama and Oregon as the only schools to finish in the AP Top 10 in each of the last three seasons.

“We are very appreciative and thankful for being the highest ranked team in school history,” Spurrier told gamecocksonline.com. “And hope to do better next year.”
— Compiled by Danny Garrison, Sports editor