Baseball off to perfect 4-0 start

A double down the third base line by Conner Bright that plated teammate Grayson Greiner proved to be all that the No. 5 Gamecocks needed to power past Presbyterian College, as they picked up their fourth win of the season Tuesday, 4-0.

South Carolina’s dominant pitching continued to impress, using three pitchers to deliver a seven-hit shutout, the team’s second shutout in as many games.

Sophomore Curt Britt is a spotless 3-0 as a starting pitcher in his career in garnet and black, building off the two wins he accumulated last season.

The Gamecocks (4-0) chased Presbyterian starter Brian Kehner in the sixth inning after he allowed only one run on four hits.

First baseman Kyle Martin delivered insurance runs in the form of a three-run bomb to right field in the bottom of the seventh inning. Martin continued his scorching-hot start Tuesday night, going two-for-four with a run scored and three RBI. The junior now has nine hits in his first 13 plate appearances.

The Blue Hose (2-1) scattered seven hits through nine innings, including two in the fourth inning with one out. A fielder’s choice and a flyout to right field ended the threat.

South Carolina will host a three-game weekend series against Eastern Kentucky beginning Friday before a series with in-state rival Clemson.