Gamecocks sweep doubleheader

Women’s tennis protects unbeaten home record against Charleston Southern, Davidson

Fresh off a win just days before, the South Carolina women’s tennis increased its current win streak to three when it won both matchups Sunday in a doubleheader against Charleston Southern and Davidson.

Coming into the doubleheader, South Carolina (6-1) looked to continue its success at the Carolina Tennis Center, hoisting an undefeated record at home.

Ranked No. 33 nationally, South Carolina was looked as the favorite in both matches. The expectation to win gave coach Kevin Epley reason to concentrate on execution coming into the matches.

“The focus was to really just to take care of business in the matches and sort of execute the things we’ve been working on in practice, in the match,” Epley said.

In the first contest of the doubleheader, the Gamecocks matched up against a Charleston Southern (1-3) team eager to earn a victory after losing to North Carolina State the day before. Doubles play didn’t help the Buccaneers achieve their goal as the Gamecock victories from partners Brigit Folland and Katerina Popova, and the pair of Meghan Blevins and Elixane Lechemia, gave South Carolina the doubles point and a 1-0 lead.

Singles play provided no different result, as South Carolina’s strength proved too much for Charleston Southern, as most matches were decisively won. Caroline Dailey and Ximena Siles Luna, along with the four doubles winners, all faced off in singles matches and each were victorious after their second set.

The second match of the day seemed a replication of the first, as South Carolina took the lead early and never looked back against Davidson. The Gamecocks took the early 1-0 lead after dominating doubles play, as the pair of Dominika Kanakova and Ximena Siles Luna won 6-1, while Popova and Folland also had a 6-1 victory.

The Wildcats (2-4) could not win a set in singles play as South Carolina continued to execute. The singles matches seemed to serve as a race to see which Gamecock would finish off their opponent first. Folland proved to be the first victor, but Popova, Blevins, Lechemia, Siles Luna and Natalie Looney quickly ended soon after in that order.

Popova said the team came into the doubleheader with confidence because of a strong performance last week against Virginia, despite a loss.

“We were very confident that we’re going to win the matches, because we had a good weekend last time against UVA,” Popova said. “They were ranked No. 14 and they’ll be top five in the country.”
The two dominating performances by South Carolina make it three consecutive matches that the Gamecocks have swept their opponents, beating Furman 7-0 last week. All three matches showcased the strength South Carolina’s team has, while also displaying how well they play at home.

Epley said the home presence factors into South Carolina’s momentum when playing, adding that it provides a familiar environment.

“We do a lot better at home,” Epley said. “Being able to walk from the dorms and being on your home court, a place you see every day and having your fans…that’s a big plus.”

Also acknowledging the benefits of playing at home, Popova said an intense home atmosphere can also pressure opponents.

“Hopefully students will come and cheer for us because the school support is very important,” Popova said. “Not just us but also against the opponents it can be mental pressure for them.”