Signing day brings new talent to Columbia

Defensive backfield needs addressed with new class

The signing of four-star linebacker Bryson Allen-Williams on national signing day highlighted a South Carolina recruiting class that is set to address many defensive needs for the Gamecocks next season.

With four of the eight South Carolina players who declared for the NFL draft being juniors, some of South Carolina’s top recruits may see playing time as early as next season.

“We believe we have addressed a lot of our needs,” coach Steve Spurrier said. “We lost three starting defensive linemen — Jadeveon Clowney, Chaz Sutton, Kelcy Quarles. We’ve signed seven defensive linemen. … Another need is defensive back, especially with Victor (Hampton), Jimmy Legree, one being a senior, one leaving early.”

“We needed to replace those players, so we picked up right now, I think, four defensive back-type players who will compete with the guys we’ve got for that position next year.”

Overall, the Gamecocks have signed 19 players to their recruiting class, including nine with spots on the ESPN300 rankings. Among the signers is early-enrollee Abu Lamin, a four-star defensive tackle from Kansas.

Lamin, who is originally from Fayetteville, N.C., found himself playing for Fort Scott Community College after high school. He enrolled at USC on this semester after receiving offers from teams including Alabama and Georgia. With the loss of defensive tackle Kelcy Quarles, Lamin figures to make an immediate impact on South Carolina’s defensive line.

To aid Lamin over the next few years, the Gamecocks also signed four-star defensive end Dante Sawyer, who is ranked No. 88 in the ESPN300. The 235-pound player from Suwanee, Ga., is ranked by 247 Sports as the fifth-best weak-side defensive end in the country. South Carolina also signed four-star defensive end Dexter Wideman to solidify its depth on the defensive line.

The Gamecocks received a surprise Wednesday afternoon when they caught wind that three-star recruit Blake McClain had committed to the Gamecocks. McClain was initially expected to attend Florida State and visited Nebraska before settling on South Carolina.

“He was committed to FSU, and FSU I think attempted to greyshirt him, which a lot of schools are doing,” Steve Spurrier Jr. said, referring to a process in which a player pays his own tuition for a semester to stay eligible to play. “His family wanted him close by. His coach was really helpful. An opportunity to play in the SEC, an opportunity to play at South Carolina and a chance to play for Steve Spurrier really hit home for him.”

In perhaps the biggest upgrade, South Carolina’s defensive backfield grew by five players after this class. The Gamecocks scored four-star cornerback D.J. Smith, who is one of five true cornerbacks South Carolina ended up signing. Smith has outstanding tackling abilities and plans to line up against Texas A&M in the Aug. 28 opener.

Darin Smalls is another recruit who could play at corner, depending on South Carolina’s needs. He has experience in high school playing safety; however, the Gamecocks are all but set at that position as of now.

One of the most highly touted defensive back recruits waited until after 5 p.m. to announce his decision Wednesday, but it was better late than never when cornerback Wesley Green announced his commitment to the Gamecocks live on Fox Sports South after waffling between the Gamecocks and the Georgia Bulldogs.

Cornerback Al Harris Jr., son of former all-pro cornerback Al Harris, also announced his intent to play in garnet and black next season. Harris Jr., who earned a three-star rating playing at perennial powerhouse St. Thomas Aquinas, seemed to fly under the radar during the recruiting season but could be a major contributor by the end of his time in Columbia.

The Gamecocks also made it a point to address needs on the offensive side of the game. Four-star tight end Kevin Crosby is considered the eighth-best tight end in the country, coming off a season where he caught 43 passes for 571 yards and 12 touchdowns.

In an attempt to add depth at the quarterback position, South Carolina signed 6-foot-4-inch signal caller Michael Scarnecchia, of Fleming Island, Fla. Scarnecchia earned a spot on The Associated Press’s All-State team, throwing for 28 touchdowns and only two interceptions.

Spurrier noted that the young quarterback will likely redshirt as a freshman like Dylan Thompson did.

“He came to our camp last summer, and that’s where I first saw him,” Spurrier said. “So we stayed in touch with him. We were able to get him as a Gamecock.”