Women's basketball pulls away from LSU

Welch, Mitchell both register 19 in victory

With Sunday’s 73-57 victory over LSU in Baton Rouge, the first since Jan. 15, 1994, the South Carolina women’s basketball team earned its record-tying 11th SEC win of the season.

The No. 5 Gamecocks (23-2, 11-1 SEC) faced a physical battle with the Tigers that was closer than the score indicated and were able to preserve their one-game lead over Texas A&M for the conference lead.

South Carolina’s double-threat of junior Aleighsa Welch and sophomore Tiffany Mitchell turned in 19 points apiece, and freshman center Alaina Coates followed as the only other Gamecock in double figures with 13 points.

Aside from sharing the game high for points, Mitchell also hauled in seven rebounds to tie junior center Elem Ibiam and LSU’s Raigyne Moncrief for the game high in that category as well.

The Gamecocks were efficient throughout Sunday’s contest, shooting 48.9 percent from the field and converting 75 percent of their free throw attempts.

The Tigers were led by guard Jeanne Kenney’s 15 points. Theresa Plaisance and Danielle Ballard joined her in double-figures with 14 and 10, respectively.

South Carolina has four games remaining in its push for the regular-season SEC crown with two home contests and two road games left to play.

The Gamecocks will return to the court in Lexington, Ky. on Thursday with an away tilt against the Wildcats.