In Brief: March 19, 2014

14 students arrested after high school fight

Police arrested 14 students at Sumter High School after a fight in the school cafeteria, The State reported.

The fight took place on Tuesday at 8:30 in the morning, and no weapons were involved. The Sumter Police Department said in a release that students were taken into custody and charged with disturbing schools. The fight began between students, and school resource officers tried to break up the fight with help from Sumter police. The school was also placed on temporary lockdown.

Tonyia McGirt of the Sumter Police Department said that one student had a minor injury, and seven of the students will be charged as adults. The remaining seven students are juveniles.

Escaped inmate captured Tuesday afternoon

An inmate who was being interviewed at the Columbia police headquarters downtown Tuesday escaped from a locked room and was later captured, The State reported.

Justin Kyle Jenkins, 25, is being held on larceny and shoplifting charges. Handcuffed to a desk and in a room that was locked from the outside, he escaped from the police headquarters after an investigator finished interviewing him, according to a news release from the Columbia Police Department. He was not armed. Columbia police officers searched the building and the city with the help of a K9 Team. Jenkins was eventually found in the Elmwood Cemetery, near Interstate 126.

Columbia building can be rented with bitcoin

A Main Street building can now be rented using bitcoin, The State reported.

Aaron Seekford will accept bitcoins as rent for the top half of a building he owns, which has been vacant for six months. The building is located at 1537 Main St., above Carolina Hair Studios.

Bitcoins are a form of digital currency made up of lines of computer code. Although the future of the online currency is uncertain, Seekford called the idea an “experiment” and said he will see how it goes. Because the actual value of bitcoins can vary day by day, Seekford also said that the bitcoin rate for the building could change every month. He is planning to ask for about $3,640 a month.