Brief: Gamecocks win third consecutive rivalry series

South Carolina will take home another Certified SC Grown Palmetto Series trophy after winning the rivalry series against Clemson for the third year in a row.

Points are awarded over the course of the academic year to the school that wins a head-to-head or tournament matchup in over a dozen sports. After Gamecock men's tennis defeated the Tigers 6-1 on Friday, USC secured the bag in the all-sport series. 

According to the Palmetto Series website, one point is awarded for a win in the following sports and activities: baseball, men's basketball, women's basketball, cross country, women's diving, football, men's golf, women's golf, men's soccer, women's soccer, men's tennis, women's tennis, volleyball and the annual food drive.

Gamecock women dominated, helping USC score 8 points to the Tigers' 5. The school took home wins in women’s basketball, women's cross country, women's golf, women's tennis, men's tennis, volleyball, women's soccer and the food drive, The State reports. 

The Palmetto Series originated from a partnership between the South Carolina Department of Agriculture, USC and Clemson to raise awareness about how purchasing Certified SC Grown products supports local farms as well as it fuels athletes.

“We might not all agree on the playing fields, but there’s one thing Gamecocks and Tigers fans can all agree on, and that is what we grow in our fields,” SCDA commissioner Hugh Weathers said.

There is one more point in the series to win, which is one for the highest fall and spring student athlete GPAs.

-- Compiled by T. Michael Boddie, news editor