Weather forces football practice indoors

Transfer Abu Lamin draws praise, adjusting to speed of SEC

It might be chilly out, but that didn’t keep the Gamecock football team’s spring practices from getting underway. The weather forced the team to move its second practice of the spring indoors on Tuesday.

But indoors or out, the team has a lot of changes to adjust to before the season kicks off in the fall.
The defensive side of the ball will see the most changes for next season, especially on the defensive line and in the defensive backfield.

Defensive coordinator Lorenzo Ward said it was hard to get a read on the defensive linemen because they were only in shorts, but that they were moving around well.

One new face that Gamecock supporters will see next season is redshirt sophomore defensive tackle Abu Lamin, a North Carolina native who transferred from junior college.

“Abu is real strong, real powerful; he’s got a great punch,” Ward said. “He’s just got to learn what we’re doing, but he’s got a lot of promise.”

Lamin has already noticed the difference of SEC football as opposed to the junior college level.

“It’s really fast, really intense, definitely new,” he said. “I’ve never seen anything like it.”

Lamin spoke to the media with No. 99 on his jersey, the number of the last year’s first team All-SEC and second team All-American defensive tackle, Kelcy Quarles, who left a year early to enter the upcoming NFL draft.

The redshirt sophomore said he did not choose the number, but to him, it means he must perform.
Lamin added that he felt “blessed” to join the team early for spring practice and that there are many exciting things about being a Gamecock.

“For one, I worked harder than I’ve ever worked before,” he said. “Just the atmosphere here, it’s great. I’m back in the Carolinas, and I love it.”

Other changes along the defensive line include redshirt junior Cedrick Cooper, who has made the transition from linebacker to defensive end. At 6 feet 2 inches and 226 pounds, Ward likes his athleticism at the position, but he wants the redshirt junior to put on more weight.

Redshirt sophomore defensive end Darius English has made big strides in that department. English told reporters that he is now 248 pounds after weighing 225 pounds around this time last year. His goal is to put on about 10 more pounds before the season, he said.

There is a lot of inexperience at the cornerback position, with the top three Gamecock corners from last season leaving school.

South Carolina currently lists redshirt senior Sidney Rhodes and redshirt sophomore Rico McWilliams as the starters at the position on its depth chart. Ward said redshirt freshman Ali Groves will work alongside them, but he is taking practice lightly right now with a shoulder injury.

Sophomore Jamari Smith is also expected to see time as a cornerback and perhaps become the starter. Fans might remember seeing Smith at tailback last season, running wild in a blowout against Coastal Carolina.

Smith said he is picking up the defense pretty well and is taking mental reps when he is not out on the field. He has received a lot of help from senior safety Brison Williams.

“He (Brison) knows the defense more than anybody on the team right now,” Smith said. “I ask him as many questions as I can to get it out of him, and he’s a great mentor.”

Williams has been taking reps with the first team at safety and with the second team at cornerback, according to Ward. His knowledge of the defense and his versatility could prove to be huge for the Gamecocks this season.

Head coach Steve Spurrier spoke briefly with the media after practice and praised the women’s basketball team for earning a No. 1 seed and the baseball team for beginning the season with an impressive start.

He also said that redshirt senior quarterback Dylan Thompson has taken the role as the definite starter like a true leader.

“He’s doing exactly what we thought he’d do,” Spurrier said. “He’s been here five years. He’s ready to take charge and encourage the guys.”