Baseball claims series opener over Alabama

Gamecocks topple SEC West leaders

Before the South Carolina baseball team kicked off its three-game set against Alabama, head coach Chad Holbrook called it the “biggest series of the year.”

The Gamecocks didn’t look phased by the importance of the game Friday, earning a 9-3 win over the SEC West-leading Crimson Tide.

Both teams got on the board early, with Alabama scoring one run in the first inning and South Carolina responding with two of its own in the bottom of the frame.

The Gamecocks pulled away in the fourth inning, hanging four runs on Bama in the frame.

Two South Carolina players turned in multiple-hit games Friday, with juniors Grayson Greiner and Tanner English registering three hits on the day, including Greiner’s fifth home run of the year in the eighth inning. However, the biggest catalyst for the Gamecocks’ offense may have been Gene Cone.

The freshman reached base in all four of his plate appearances Friday, drawing three walks and earning three RBIs on his lone hit, a triple.

From the mound, junior ace Jordan Montgomery recovered from a rocky start to strike out eight batters in 6 1/3 innings. He allowed eight hits and two runs on the day.

Junior closer Joel Seddon pitched 1 1/3 two-hit innings to end the game and earn his 11th save of the season.

The Gamecocks will resume the series at 2:00 p.m. Saturday.