Baseball drops 2 games at Arkansas

<p>Junior starting pitcher Jordan Montgomery went seven-plus innings while striking out nine batters in South Carolina&#8217;s series-opening victory against Arkansas.</p>
Junior starting pitcher Jordan Montgomery went seven-plus innings while striking out nine batters in South Carolina’s series-opening victory against Arkansas.

Gamecocks still yet to win series on road

The South Carolina baseball team’s road woes continued this weekend, dropping just its second series of the season in a trip to Arkansas.

The Gamecocks’ other series loss this year came in their only other road series when they fell at Kentucky in two-out-of-three contests.

South Carolina (26-5, 7-5 SEC) was scheduled to play a Thursday, Friday, Saturday series with the Razorbacks over the weekend, but bad weather forced the two teams to play a doubleheader Friday.

The Gamecocks started the day strong with a 2-1 series-opening victory over Arkansas behind a quality outing from junior starting pitcher Jordan Montgomery. The lefty tossed seven-plus innings, allowing four hits and a run and striking out nine batters in the process. Friday’s win is Montgomery’s fourth win of the year.

In the second game of Friday’s doubleheader, South Carolina’s struggle to produce runs continued, falling 4-1 to the Razorbacks. Arkansas’ scoring came on three critical Gamecock errors that lead to three unearned runs for the Razorbacks.

Saturday’s rubber match was all Arkansas from the start. In freshman starter Wil Crowe’s first loss of the year, the Razorbacks tagged him up for five runs, four of which were earned. Arkansas would go on to blank the Gamecocks for a 7-0 series-clinching win.

South Carolina’s loss in the series had no ramifications on the SEC East race, as the Gamecocks remain tied for the division lead with Florida after the Gators dropped two-out-of-three in Kentucky over the weekend.

South Carolina will return to action Tuesday with a trip to Greenville to take on Furman.